Changing Photo Resolution

Home Forums Photography Q&A Changing Photo Resolution

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Kina Lamb
    Participant

Thank you @loganlamar!

Okay, hopefully the last question here – can you do a lot of the same things in Affinity as you can do in Luminar? Or is Affinity just for more graphic design-y work? I guess what I mean is can you change lighting, make things smoother, adjust color and such on Affinity? And is it easy to use? Mostly what I want is to change the photo resolution (I can’t do that on Luminar like you said) but I do want a good photo editor also.

Ezra Morley

@kina, you don’t have to pay anything if all you want to do is change the resolution of your photo… Just edit your photo to your liking with whatever software you currently use, then export it. Then use some free software to change the resolution to whatever you want it to be. Normally I would recommend FastStone Image Viewer but since you’re evidently using an Apple product, I’ll have to recommend an alternative. 🙂

Check out XnViewMP for a free (for personal use) basic editor that will easily allow you to resize (a.k.a. change the resolution) of your pictures. I just downloaded it for Windows and gave it a test run, and it seems to have much of the functionality that FastStone does. You can even do batch conversions if you need to resize multiple files at once.

Of course you’re welcome to pay for Affinity/Luminar if you want to, but hopefully you’ll be paying for more than just a photo resizer because there are lots of free programs that can easily do the job.

Logan Lamar
    Participant

@kina, yes, @buddingphotographer is absolutely right—you don’t have to pay a cent to just downsize/change the resolution of your photo. There are many programs that will allow you to do that. For example, like we’ve been discussing, Preview is already built into your Mac, and it will work to change the resolution of your photo. Don’t get Luminar or Affinity or any other program that costs a decent bit of money if that’s all you need to do!

But if you are looking for a good editor for things besides resizing photos 🙂 , it honestly depends on what you want to do.

I guess what I mean is can you change lighting, make things smoother, adjust color and such on Affinity?

It sounds like what you want to do—besides changing resolution—is give an image that extra “pop”. If that’s all you want to do, then I think Luminar would be best.

If you want to do some heavy editing—like adding someone to a picture who wasn’t there or doing some basic graphic design—I think I’d go with Affinity (or you could start with GIMP, which is free).

I think, generally speaking, everything that Luminar can do, Affinity can do (and a lot more). But if you just want to give an image that extra pop, I’d use Luminar, because Luminar gives that pop way easier (and much better-er) than Affinity does, and it gives you a lot more features to get the effect.

Really what Luminar is is a souped up version of the Apple Photos editing feature. You get the same tools Apple Photos gives you… and a whole, whole, whole lot more tools to enhance your image. [Affinity also gives you the same tools that Apple Photos gives you, but you can’t go back and change your edits after you’ve saved your image (like you can in Photos). That was kind of a deal breaker for me.]

Affinity is a different tool entirely. It’s more of an image builder than an image enhancer—though it does have the capability to enhance images. In fact, before I had Luminar, I was using Affinity to enhance my images. It wasn’t ideal though.

You could try both programs out for free, actually, to find out which fits your needs. Both programs offer a free trial (Luminar gives you 14 days and Affinity gives you 30) on their respective websites—just note that not all of the sample images on the site, like I’ve found in many places, would be lenspiration approved. Proceed carefully.

I hope this has been helpful and not confusing!

@rmadaris—I know you use Luminar (and Affinity?). What say you?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Logan Lamar.
    Kina Lamb
    Participant

@buddingphotographer Yes, thank you! I should have mentioned earlier, but I searched for about an hour before looking for a free software that would do just that, but I had to sign up for things and go to different links, and it was a bit of a pain. Also, once I started downloading things, my computer wouldn’t let me go any further because it wasn’t from a trusted source and I didn’t have the password. 😀 Also, the softwares looked really different from what I know how to use, so I pretty much gave that up. I checked out XnViewMP. I haven’t been able to figure it out yet. Maybe I will later, but I simply must memorize a passage before I go to bed for Bible Bee. 😀 Thanks again! 😀

@loganlamar Hmm… choices!! It sounds like I want Affinity but I want it to be easier and faster to use. XD 😀 I do love graphic design work, but I like it to be more like artwork in the work process, not technical button-y stuff, if you know what I mean. I don’t like to have to do a lot of ‘behind the scenes’ work before I can tell the difference in my project. I like to click on the problem and work with it until I like it. 😀 I assume Affinity is kind of like that? In that case, I want Luminar, but it can’t change the photo resolution.

I remember what you said about Preview, but I’m going to need a couple bon-bons to get me through the whole mental challenge of figuring out how to do all that technical stuff. (Not really – I’m just joking. That would be ridiculous!!! 😀 😀 ) I also may need daddy on hand for any questions. That’s mainly what I’ve been waiting for. Maybe I should really try to get that done, and then figure out about Affinity/Luminar later.

I’ll just go by what y’all say about Affinity/Luminar. I’ve heard that sometimes if you forget to cancel your trial at the end, they’ll charge you for all the time you didn’t use but still had going after your trial ended. Mama says that’s a mess.

Thank you so much for all of your help!! 😀

Ben Glick
    Participant

I can say after owning a iMac pro for a few years I have gotten very successful with editing on it. A big question I would ask before changing a photo is “what am I trying to achieve?” and! “Can I do it through editing?”. The last one might seem kinda stupid, but I shoot photo’s using a Canon Rebel EOS RL1, and it has AMAZING photo quality, the reason I bring this up is because, on a lot of my photo’s editing should only be used to increase the “viewer appeal” of the photo, does that make sense? If I have a photo and I smeared part of it by moving to fast on a low shutter speed, I would thus take it to iPhoto and increase the blemish spot removal, as for trying to actually increase the actual photo quality, “ehh” if you want to go down, “hey thumbs up!” you can do that easily! If you want to increase the photo quality to more of what that camera can do, “ehh” “not so much” you will find yourself easily constrained by the limited choice of settings. You could possibly increase highlights or definition. But “that’s bout’ far as your gonna get with trying to increase over what your camera can do” Hope this helps a little, editing is complicated when you get into it for real, but a little time and understanding and it turns into a whiz!

Attachments:
    Ryan Madaris
    Participant

@loganlamar, I do use Luminar. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good editing program, as it is pretty easy to learn and is a decent price. I don’t use Affinity, but it seems like a good program to me as well.

@ryanben2, isn’t that photo of a church somewhere in Georgia? It seems that I’ve seen photos like it before.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Ryan Madaris.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest