Drones!

Home Forums Photography Q&A Drones!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Caitlin Compton 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Just a quick question for the webinar – unless it’s to late! 🙂 What would be a good drone to start out with that doesn’t brake the bank but gets fairly high quality photos?

Jinny Schober
    Participant

I am also interested in the answer to this question!

I’m just going to @dfrazer on this one, as he probably has a good deal of knowledge in that regards.
    “Break the bank” is somewhat ambiguous, a hardline budget figure might be helpful, as some people’s bank might “break” at $2,000; and mine would “break” a good deal below that.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Will be sure to ask him about it during the webinar!

David Frazer
    Participant

I’m not sure when the webinar is, as I am not a pro member, but choosing a drone is much like choosing a camera – there is one for every price bracket and for every quality. And just like cameras, there is no point in buying one that is much more expensive than what you need. I think there are probably two things to look into: the laws and your needs.

The laws are different in every country – I am only familiar with Canadian drone laws, but I would suggest looking at the CASA website for a starter: https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft/landing-page/flying-drones-australia I am guessing that if you are thinking of getting a drone specifically for photography that you are wanting to use it to add value to some business or ministry. If so, that is commercial usage.

If you look at your needs and find that a drone is part of those needs, there are two options: do it yourself and get the tools and qualifications necessary or hire someone to do the part that you won’t do.

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

Caitlin, I recently purchased a DJI Phantom 3 Standard. It’s about $500, but it’s a great quality drone.
    It takes 12 megapixel photos and 2K video… As far as I’ve researched, DJI makes some of the best drones,
    but I’m sure there are many other companies as well.

Here are a few photos that I’ve captured with mine.

Hope that helped!

Attachments:

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

I’m not really planning on purchasing a drone in the super near future. It’s something that I definitely want to do, but at the moment I’m just trying to focus on developing my photography – There’s so much to learn! 🙂 I just thought I’d ask it for the webinar (since it’s not every day that you get to ask a professional drone photographer a question 😀 ) and then keep the information for when I’m looking into drones.

Thank you @dfrazer and @rmadaris for your suggestions, pictures and the link! 🙂 I’ll look into them. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest