Good Wedding/event Lenses

Home Forums Photography Q&A Good Wedding/event Lenses

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Allison 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Allison
    Participant

I have a question about a good lens or lenses for shooting weddings. Currently, I have the 50mm f/1.8 but I’m thinking I would probably need a more wide-angle lens and/or something with a zoom factor. I also have the 18-55mm kit lens but it only has f/3.5-5.6.

Any insight you could give would be extremely helpful and appreciated!

Josiah Waldner
    Participant

I guess it all depends on your shooting style, but fast apertures are the main factor to take into account when choosing lenses for most weddings, mainly due to the low light conditions. I shoot with a 50mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.8, and 35mm F/2 for portraits and candid type shots during the reception and afterwards, and a 12mm f/2 and 50-140 F/2.8 zoom lens during the ceremony. The 12mm covers my wide angle, and the zoom get everything else. (Fuji sells a 50-140, most other companies sell a very similar lens as a 70-200) If I were to pick two lenses for my Canon system, I would probably get a 16-35 f/2.8, and a 70-200 f/2.8 IS. They should get you decent bokeh for portraits, and still be flexible enough to cover most scenarios. I saw that Sigma is making some pretty impressive zoom lenses with 1.8 apertures. That would be like having a bag full of primes in one lens! Pretty affordable too.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

It would certainly be worth adding a new lens or two to your bag, especially if you’re shooting a wedding! And they don’t have to be expensive or name-brand, as long as you can get wide apertures like @josiahw was saying.

If you’re on a cropped sensor, then 50mm may be telephoto enough if you’re not afraid to walk up and get close when needed. I would turn your attention on wide angle first, like 10mm or something.

What you don’t want is lots of lenses that you have to constantly be changing them. Time is of the essence in wedding. Two I think is as many as I can usually handle, and if they can both be on different bodies, that’s ideal.

Allison
    Participant

Thank you both! Yes, I’ll probably go with a wider aperture lens to start with :).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest