Grand Canyon

Home Forums Photo Critique Grand Canyon

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ben Glick 2 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Josiah Waldner
    Participant

Here is a pic I took a while ago, and just edited. Any thoughts? I should have bracketed the exposure to gain more detail in the highlights, but I didn’t have a tripod. The lighting was beautiful- around 6:45 pm near Desert Watchtower, at the Grand Canyon.
    Canon 70d
    Tamron 15-300 3.5-6
    1/200 sec
    F/10
    320 iso.

Attachments:

Jinny Schober
    Participant

AMAZING photo! I REALLY want to go the Grand Canyon someday. Maybe next time you could try zooming in a bit to try to minimize the extra space on the left side of the photo. Again, great job. πŸ™‚

Josiah Waldner
    Participant

Thanks. Here is a cropped version. Hope you get your chance to go: if you do, you should try to be at the Desert Watchtower for sunset. I really didn’t get any good pictures during the day, but during sunrise and sunset, there were ample opportunities for a novice photographer to get good results. I had my camera for only 2 weeks when this picture was taken πŸ™‚

Attachments:

Daniel Hancock
    Participant

Hey Josiah, This photo looks really good! I like the full version, as it gives a sense of space – something the Grand Canyon is known for. I would rotate the image slightly to correct the horizon. Some people like sun glare, others don’t. Depending on your preference, you could always remove that.

Dan Cope
    Participant

Very nice! Like @dhancock mentioned I would straighten the horizon. Personally, I like the cropped version better as it narrows in on what’s interesting. In fact I would actually crop it in a little more. Your foreground is nice and well edited. I really like how you captured the lighting! A good foreground is often what sets a photo apart from others and makes it look less like a snapshot! What makes this foreground work is the one little clump of sagebrush that stands out in the lower right hand corner. The fact that it’s surrounded by orange-colored grass (or whatever it is lol) adds to the visual impact. I think I would try to figure out a way to emphasize that even a little more in post processing.

I should have bracketed the exposure to gain more detail in the highlights, but I didn’t have a tripod.

That would have been great! Especially if you could have obtained a nice sunburst effect just as the sun was slipping below the horizon! It would have added interest to the left side to help balance out the photo. I have actually bracketed exposures without a tripod. As long as you can hold the camera very close to the same position, you should still be able to align the exposures in post processing.

Attachments:

Josiah Waldner
    Participant

I guess I didn’t notice the crooked horizon. Thanks for pointing that out! I don’t mind sun flare, but I did take it out, along with some of the people at the overlook.
    Do you have any suggestions for improving the foreground as was mentioned? i played around with it a bit, but didn’t come up with much.
    I’ve done multiple exposures without a tripod too, but I probably did not know what HDR even was then. Even now, I still struggle with how much data to capture. Shooting straight into the sun requires a huge range to capture everything, and to me it looks odd to have everything form the darkest shadows to the sun perfectly exposed. Here is one with the sun’s rays I was able to get.

Attachments:

Dan Cope
    Participant

Here’s kind of what I had in mind with my suggested edit to the foreground. I emphasized the clump of sagebrush and the surrounding color by brightening it and adding contrast. I brought out the color a little more by using color balance layers. I also darkened some of the other foliage and removed a few distractions, including the people! They all came back so I told them to leave again πŸ˜€ I don’t know that this would work very well unless you use the tight crop as I’ve done. Otherwise the sagebrush is so small, it doesn’t stand out very well.

Attachments:

Josiah Waldner
    Participant

Nice! It certainly does have some extra “punch” I think I like the uncropped version better though. I should see if I have one that emphasizes the sagebrush more.

Kina Lamb
    Participant

@josiahw I just had to mention this – I had your first picture up on my screen and my oldest brother walked in. He turned around, took a look, then stood up real stiff and said “WHOOA!!” Then he leaned in real close and said “YIKES that’s a good picture!!!” That’s a really good compliment from him. πŸ˜€ Hope that encourages you πŸ˜€

Kina Lamb
    Participant

@josiahw Not to make anything more confusing – and I haven’t read all the other comments, etc., all I’ve done is look at all the pictures – but I’m still a big fan of the first one compared to all the others. I don’t like the crop so very much, nor the added light. It kind of seems to white-wash the whole thing, and your color was excellent in the first one. Taking the people out might be a good idea, but I also like it with them. That’s my two cents πŸ˜€

Kina Lamb
    Participant

Ooh, I like the foreground edits a great deal @dan-cope πŸ˜€

• This reply was modified 3 days, 7 hours ago by  Kina Lamb.

Josiah Waldner
    Participant

Thanks! I can’t claim to have done anything right taking it- it was pure chance:)

Ben Glick
    Participant

Bro, first photo is by far the best, allow me to respectfully disagree with a lot of people… There is absolutely NO way I could possible think of making this photo any better by editing, this is the most spectacular photo I think I have seen on this so far, like mind blown dude….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest