High Speed Water Drop Photography

Home Forums Photo Critique High Speed Water Drop Photography

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ezra Morley

I took these pictures about a year ago. I merely set a container in the kitchen sink, and let the faucet drip. If I remember correctly, the coloring is from beet juice! Then later I updated my setup to sit on the kitchen table and used an eyedropper for the drips. Attached is a Behind-The-Scenes photo.

As you can see from the Exif Data, the flash was what gave me the short exposure time necessary for capturing high speed exposures.

Model – Canon EOS REBEL T3
    Shutter Speed – 1/20 seconds
    F-Number – f/14
    ISO Speed – 200
    Flash – Flash fired, (On-board Flash)
    Focal Length – 44 mm

Attachments:
    James Staddon
    Keymaster

I love behind the scenes photos! Very creative. I’ve never taken the time to set something up like this, but it would certainly be fun to do so one of these days.

If there was some way you could make the background completely white (instead of textured gray) I think it would help me from thinking that the photo was underexposed. Does it look underexposed to you? I mean, like, the white-point hasn’t been set so it feels like there’s not enough contrast or something.

Thankfully, this can be done in Photoshop (or probably Lightroom) without much problem.

But the texture in the water is perfect, and I’m glad the liquid is color. Perhaps you could pop that a bit with Vibrance in Lightroom too.

HeldInHisArms
    Participant

I like the texture of the water, but I think that you should layer a different colored background. Overall, I think it looks really great! Good job!

Ezra Morley

Ok, so I popped it into Lightroom and changed it a bit, what do you think now?

I have a test website setup so that I can test some stuff, so here’s a link to an interactive ‘before-after’ comparison. Drag the slider back and forth to see the difference.

Attachments:
    HeldInHisArms
    Participant

YESSSSS this is awesome!

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Yes, much better. A little Photoshop work to make the left section of the background pure white and you’ve got a stock image ready to sell!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!