Purchasing Refurbished from a Non-Manufacturer

Home Forums Photography Q&A Purchasing Refurbished from a Non-Manufacturer

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Logan Lamar 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Logan Lamar
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    I’m still hunting around for that “second lens”, and I’m realizing I could save a bit of money if I purchased refurbished. However, I’m wondering if it is wise to purchase refurbished from a third-party seller on Amazon instead of purchasing a refurbished product directly from the seller on their website (e.g. usa.canon.com). I would trust the manufacturer website copmletely to provide me a perfectly functional lens. Are third-party sellers claiming to sell a working refurbished product on Amazon.com that trustworthy though?

Thanks!
    –Logan

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

Logan, I believe it would be fine, but I would try Adorama or B&H first, as they have great quality refurbished equipment. From my experience, Amazon customer service is excellent, and they will work very well with you if you didn’t get what you were supposed to.

Ezra Morley

It pays to check listings, and be sure you know the difference between “seller refurbished” and “manufacturer refurbished.” (There’s a big difference.) Generally speaking, manufacturer refurbished is what you are looking for, especially if you want an “official” warranty. Note that most refurbished warranties even from a manufacturer are usually only 90 days. Some manufacturers offer 180 days, but definitely check the details before buying if that’s something important to you.

I second @rmadaris with the Adorama or B&H suggestion. (Another used dealer I’ve heard good things about, but never actually tried is keh.com) Amazon can be quite flaky, depending on who the seller is. It’s true that “Amazon customer service is excellent”, but ideally you don’t want to have to deal with them, even if they are excellent. 🙂 Adorama and B&H both carefully inspect all their refurbished/used merchandise to make sure it’s described and priced properly. There’s absolutely no guarantee of that from Amazon.

Logan Lamar
    Participant

Thanks for your input, @rmadaris and @buddingphotographer!

What about used from B&H? Is that a good idea if the quality rating is high? I know @jamesstaddon does not recommend purchasing used, and I don’t know that I would from eBay or Amazon or anywhere where I don’t know the person selling it… but is it okay from a dedicated and trusted camera store?
    Thanks again!
    –Logan

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Logan Lamar.

Ezra Morley

I would not hesitate to buy used from Adorama or B&H, if it’s rated in excellent condition. Just be sure to check it out thoroughly when you receive it, so you can return it if you’re not happy.

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

@loganlamar, B&H is very trustworthy, as they inspect all their equipment that is for sale. I would strongly recommend buying from them. KEH and mbp.com are other great places to buy used photo equipment.

Logan Lamar
    Participant

Thanks @buddingphotographer and @rmadaris!
    I’ll be sure to at least check a few of these places first.
    Thanks again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest