Purple Tulip

Home Forums Photo Critique Purple Tulip

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Any ideas for camera angle, composition et cetera? We feel it might be slightly front-focused, but it does render the most visible part of the flower quite sharp; any thoughts?
    ~ NASA

Canon 60d 55-250 f/4-5.6 is ii
    1/1000 sec
    f7.1
    250 mm
    ISO 250
    flash did not fire

Attachments:

I’m gonna try attaching this again, apparently it didn’t work as prévu :/

HeldInHisArms
    Participant

I REALLY like how saturated this is; did you edit it to be that way? The composition is good (rule of thirds applied here) and the flower is gorgeous. However, I think the other pink flowers in the background distract a little from the main focal point, so that is just something to consider.

Thanks! Yes, I edited it in Lightroom and played with the vibrance some. I agree with you in the other flowers being distracting.
    Thanks for the tip; I appreciate it!

HeldInHisArms
    Participant

No problem!

Ezra Morley

Yes, I agree with ‘HeldInHisArms’ about the other flowers being distracting. I think that my #1 problem with most of my flower pictures, is that too often there are other ones “in the way” which detract from the picture. I read a quote once from a well-known photographer who said, “If it doesn’t add something to the picture, then it detracts from it”, or something to that effect. Nowadays, I look for flowers that are all by themselves, or try to compose so that there aren’t others in the background.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

It took me a while to think of something to say about this one. It’s a lovely shot!

It seems that the ratio of subject to background is too close to 50/50. Does this make sense? The flower seems to be taking up too much of the space in the picture. Pulling out to add more a bit more space around the flower I think might make the flower seem less heavy.

But I do like where you have the flower focused; because you can’t see inside the flower, the focus is correct to be on the foreground pedals.

Also, it appears on my screen to be a little bit too dark. Not underexposed, but the dark areas are too dark. But don’t let me encroach too much on your style.

For some “better than basic” tips on taking pictures of flowers, take a look at this article: 8 Tips for Photographing Wildflowers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest