Throwing Away Money (ends October 15)

Home Forums Shoot to Serve Photo Assignments Throwing Away Money (ends October 15)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  David Staddon 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Hey folks, some last-minute, fun photo requests have come in from the IBLP Character Curriculum team! Here are the details from Esther:

ASSIGNMENT:
    • Request: I am looking for a picture of money in the wastebasket or a hand throwing money away to illustrate extravagance. The caption under the picture will be something like, “Extravagant spenders will later regret that so much of their money was ‘thrown away’ on pursuits that were worthless in light of eternity.”
    • Other Specifics: I can’t choose a picture that would quickly date our curriculum….clothing styles and haircuts date a picture faster than anything else!
    • Orientation: Vertical pictures are preferred.
    • End Use: A small, printed picture that will be published in a children’s character curriculum. See attached PDF for an example.
    • How to Submit:
    1) Upload original files to this link.
    2) Attach JPGs less than 8MB in size in reply to this topic if you would like them to be critiqued.
    • Remuneration: Members of The Click will be paid $5/submission if chosen.
    • Terms: If your photo is chosen, you grant IBLP unlimited permission to use and publish your picture under the typical Royalty Free license. You may use the picture for other purposes.
    • Deadline: Midnight Monday, October 15 (or until this topic is closed).

RELATED TRAINING: An interesting addition to shooting this assignment might be to consider what emotions are associated with the concept image we are taking and then try to intentionally incorporate colors that match that emotion. This is something I have just been interoduced to and if you’d like to take this assignment to a higher level, feel free to study and experiement with the information in this article: Make Your Photos Better With The 8 Fundamental Emotions.

PHOTO CRITIQUE: Mark your calendars! The photos submitted for this assignment will be up for critique on the November 13 webinar.

• This topic was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  James Staddon.
    Attachments:

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

This made for some interesting photo shoots with extravagant me throwing money all over the place and trying not to let my grandmother who we were visiting think I had gone off my rocker! 😀 I had siblings stationed to keep me posted on her whereabouts so I could clean up before she came through. It gave us lots of good laughs with a few close calls we had!

Attachments:

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

And here are a few more…

Attachments:

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Wow, that must have felt strange, strewing money around like that, especially around a trash can! 🙂

I’ve contacted the Character Curriculum Team to so they should be making their decision on whether or not they will be using any of these pictures for their booklet.

Regardless, I’ll be taking a look at these shots in the next webinar to show you what I think about them and which ones I think would be worth using elsewhere for like submitting for stock. It won’t hurt to sign up for the webinar early! https://www.lenspiration.com/photo-critique-with-lenspiration-nov-13/

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

I’ve contacted the Character Curriculum Team to so they should be making their decision on whether or not they will be using any of these pictures for their booklet.

@jamesstaddon, this assignment is still open to the end of today, right?

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

@jamesstaddon, I’ve taken some photos for both the current assignments. I’ve been out all day and brang my computer planning to submit them, but I couldn’t connect to the internet at my Nana’s house. So, when I get home I’ll do it, but it won’t be for a couple of hours, which I realise will be your morning and the assignments will technically be closed. I’m hoping you’ll be able to leave the topic open till then so I can submit them?

Yes, I’ve left it to the last minute… again! 😉 Will I ever learn! Lol

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Ok, just ignore the above messages! I made it in time. Phew! 😉

This was a more challenging assignment. I mean, I don’t know about everyone else, but it’s not everyday that I throw money in the bin (trash)! 😉 Also, you guys having a different currency to Australian’s made for an interesting predicament. So, I printed off a bunch of American notes and used a few real notes (from a friend that moved to the US) on top and hope that it looks realistic enough. I’m no American money expert!

Here are my submissions!

Attachments:

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Also, you guys having a different currency to Australian’s made for an interesting predicament

Hah, I was wondering if that was going to be a problem for you! Glad you were able to work something out despite the obstacles, though! 🙂

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Lol, @bennett-family! So, does it look like the real deal? 🙂

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Yep, I would never know those pictures were from a foreign country if I didn’t know 😉

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

@bennett-family, oh, good! 🙂

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Hey guys, forum email notifications randomly quit coming to my inbox so I’m sorry I wasn’t in the loop for your questions!

As for having your submissions a couple hours late, @creative-click-photography, there’s always the risk, but I do not normally stay up and wait for midnight to come to close it. 🙂 Plus, the next day is usually Sunday, on which day I don’t work, so it’s usually not until Monday that I work out the details of moving the assignment on to the next step. So there’s some leeway usually. This is why in the Details for the Deadline I’ll add something like “(or until this topic is closed)” or more recently, “(or until this Topic is no longer highlighted as yellow)”.

However, I never know when the organization requesting the pictures will actually review the pictures submitted on the topic. If they happen to review and choose the pictures in the hours directly after the deadline passes (they may not always be in the States), then a delay in making your submissions could result in them never being seen.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Anyway, about your submissions, I love them!

I so badly wanted to shoot this assignment, I thought it would be so much fun! But alas, it just wasn’t high enough priority on my to-do list, and they came up so fast. But I am glad some peoples were able to shoot for it! Very creative with the printed money, @creative-click-photography 🙂

It’s incredible with all the money scattered around, @bennett-family. I don’t know if I have that much cash in bills here at the house! I’m glad you shot on multiple floorings. The linoleum looks more natural, but the white sheet would make it easier for the Curriculum Team to cut out.

Sadly, Esther said that though there was trash in the basket, the Curriculum Team said the nice woven basket gave too much of an impression of being a collection plate and therefore opted not to go with it. There was no way to know that was going to be the case! I think mixing the money with the trash was a brilliant idea, but it didn’t quite push it over the top this time.

However, it looks like they did decide to use one of your pictures, Caitlin! The last one. I think it may have been that you can see the entire trash bin (plus the perspective of course). I’ll ask the designer (who chose the image) exactly why he chose that picture and share those specific details on the webinar, as well as my own thoughts on how I would prepare these photos for public distribution!

Watch Critique

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

It’s incredible with all the money scattered around, @bennett-family. I don’t know if I have that much cash in bills here at the house!

Oh, you can pretty easily make it look like a lot of money just by having like 10 dollars in ‘1s’ on hand. 😀

Sadly, Esther said that though there was trash in the basket, the Curriculum Team said the nice woven basket gave too much of an impression of being a collection plate and therefore opted not to go with it.

Well just for the record, this was an actual trash basket at my grandmaman’s house! Haha

But it’s all good – I loved Caitlin’s pictures too, and I’m glad they were able to use something from what was submitted. 🙂

David Staddon
    Participant

Hello from the Curriculum Team here.

Thank you for submitting your photos! I know that takes time and I am grateful for your willingness to do it. I hope you learned a lot in the process. It was fun to read about how getting the photos went, and I love the creativity.

I guess I just wanted to let you know the reasons for the decision that was made regarding the picture we chose.
    1. The printed image was small, so something recognizable at a small size was important. We thought the silver trash can was more instantly recognizable. Also, tt was for this reason that they decided against the doggie and mason jar money banks, though those were still good submissions. (BTW, Nice job on making the fake money. It’s easy to know what it is right off the bat, and I never would have guessed it was fake 🙂
    2. We liked the lighting. It seemed more natural and without unusual shadows.
    3. The composition included the hand putting money in the trash can and it was clear that it was a hand holding more money.

I am totally not a photographer, so I feel bad for analyzing the submissions without any appreciation for what it took to get the photos. Thanks again, and I really hope you will shoot for us in the future!

Here is how the finished page looked. I cut the can out and put it on a white background just to match the piggy bank that they chose.

Attachments:
    1. Page-4.pdf
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Throwing Away Money (ends October 15)’ is closed to new replies.

Pin It on Pinterest