Vacation Pictures

Home Forums Photo Critique Vacation Pictures

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hannah Schmechel 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hannah Schmechel
    Participant

Hi!
    My family and I just took a weekend trip to an island called Martha’s Vineyard, off the coast of Massachusetts. It was a little cold for the beach, but it was still a great family vacation! While I was there, I was able to do some photography. Here are a few shots. Does anyone have any suggestions on how the shots could have been taken so that the pictures could have come out better?

Thanks,
    Hannah

Hannah Schmechel
    Participant

Let me try this again.

Attachments:

Hannah Schmechel
    Participant

The ISO is 1600
    F-stop is f/8
    Shutter speed is 1/4000 sec.

Thanks,Jinny for your help! 🙂

Dan Cope
    Participant

Hi Hannah! A couple of things stand out. First of all make sure the horizon is level. This is especially important when photographing the ocean! Secondly I see your ISO is at 1600 and your shutter speed is at 1/4000. This means that you had plenty of light to be able to lower that ISO way down and improve the image quality while still maintaining a fast enough shutter speed.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

What a fantastic location! There’s an appeal to this composition, I think because of the impression of an S-curve (starting at the horizon on the right, ending where the coastline exits the picture on the lower left). If I was shooting this, I probably would have knelt down or found a little something to include in my foreground to help amplify the appearance of distance. In editing, you might want to add some Clarity to the sky to help bring out some texture there. Glad you had your camera with you on that vacation!

Hannah Schmechel
    Participant

@dan-cope and @jamesstaddon, thanks for your suggestions!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest