Foundations of Photography
A beginner's course that's more than the basics!
In-depth, sequential training for understanding the fundamentals of photography.
Learn to buy gear that's right for you
Understand your camera’s controls
Organize, edit & share your photos
The 5 Sections of the Foundations Course
1. Buy only the gear that's right for you
You need a camera before you can start taking pictures, right? In Section 1 of this course, we will discuss principles that will make buying your first camera as easy and practical as possible. Regardless of how much you already know about photography, you should have a pretty good idea of what photography gear to buy—and where to buy it—by the end of this section.
2. Understand your camera's controls
When using a camera for the first time, all of the buttons and features may seem quite daunting! And what about those strange terms, like metering, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation, focus points, white balance and drive modes--to mention a few? In Section 2, we'll take a look at each one and learn what they mean.
3. See how the controls affect your photos
Once you are familiar with the basic controls on your camera, Section 3 will focus on observing the effects that those controls have on your pictures! All the controls work together to influence exposure, depth of field, image sharpness, image quality and many other things we'll talk about in this Section!
4. Start implementing tools of composition
Moving beyond of the technical side of photography, we will start exploring the artistic side in Section 4! Looking at composition as a set of tools instead of a list of rules is where we will start!
5. Organize, edit, and share your photos
What do you do with all the pictures you take? Is your computer a disorganized mess? How efficient is your editing and sharing processes? An easy workflow in place will save tons of time in the long run, and Section 5 will get you started on getting one set up!
Having a solid foundation of the basics will make it easy to grow rapidly in any genre of photography you decide to pursue. The completion of this course is only the beginning of your future!
The Foundations of Photography Course in a Nutshell
Section 1: Choosing a Camera that’s Right for You
- First Things First
- 10 Steps to Buying Anything
- Factors to Look for in a Camera
- Factors to Look for in a Lens
- Choosing the Right Accessories
- How and Where to Purchase Equipment
- Scenario: Buying a Camera
- Scenario: Buying a Lens
- Scenario: Buying Accessories and Other Equipment
Section 2: Understanding the Camera’s Controls
- An Overview of Camera Controls
- Understanding Metering Modes
- Understanding Aperture
- Understanding Shutter Speed
- Understanding ISO
- How to Utilize Exposure Compensation
- Taking Control of Focusing
- Understanding White Balance
- Understanding Drive Modes
- The Controls on Your Lens
Section 3: How the Controls Affect Your Photos
- On Metering and Exposure
- On Depth of Field
- On Focal Length
- When Pictures Are Not Sharp
- On Image Quality
- Talking About Light
Section 4: Pillars of Composition
- Seeing Things from God’s Perspective
- Tools of Composition
- Three Elements of a Great Picture
- Two More Elements That Affect Composition
Section 5: How to Organize, Edit, and Share Your Photos
- If You Want to Start with Free Stuff
- Benefits of Adobe Lightroom
- Lightroom vs. Photoshop & Bridge
- Getting Started in Lightroom
- Secrets to Organizing Photos
- What to Know Before Sharing Photos
- The End of the Matter