FEATURED: Beautiful Waterfall (ends November 3)

Home Forums Shoot to Serve Photo Assignments FEATURED: Beautiful Waterfall (ends November 3)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Lydia Bennett 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

@jamesstaddon

Horseshoe 1 – Ohh, unfortunately you’re very right about focus. That photo shoot actually taught me a good lesson, but I tried to edit it so no one would know. 🙂 Somehow I just knew that you would catch it in at least one picture though. The lesson I knew in theory, but learned in practice: check ALL the settings on your camera before a shoot. You see, I almost always use Automatic Focus, but I had evidently switched to MF for something and forgot to switch it back. I didn’t realize my camera wasn’t focusing until I was maybe half-way through the shoot. I was under a bridge for a while and between rushing water and traffic above it was really loud so I didn’t hear that the camera wasn’t doing anything, and I failed to thoroughly check. It was in focus just enough that I didn’t notice at first. :/

2 – What about a square crop like I attached here? Or is it still not really working?

3 – Thanks! Will do.

4 – Wow I like your edit! It looks so nice. …Did I really take that picture? :p

5 – Yeah, I felt like I would’ve needed a super-wide angle lens to really capture that scene from that angle. Yes, I did have fun on that photoshoot! I’m not always the overly adventurous type, but I had tons of fun climbing all over rocks, through bushes, through water… I felt like a legit landscape photographer right there. 🙂 And I actually managed to stay pretty dry!

Mixville – Yes, that would be lens flare. There was a ton of sunshine; I don’t know if you noticed the sunlit water droplets spraying around as well. Back story: I was scouting a local park where I was going to be doing some family photo mini-sessions, and I noticed these falls (I think there’s a dam there that causes them). Surroundings aren’t that great, there’s a bridge over them that’s not that beautiful, I thought I’d try and get a shot of them anyways. It had been dry so they just disappeared into nothingness once they got to the ground. That was nice because I was able to stand right in front of them – completely dry. Maybe I should try to go back there some point and see if I can’t actually get a more beautiful photo despite not-so-beautiful surroundings.

I’m very grateful for the critique, James! It really is super helpful. 🙂 It helps me analyze better – in-camera, while shooting, editing, etc.

Attachments:

Ezra Morley

@jamesstaddon, thank you! I’m glad one of my photos is being used for God’s work.

^^ What he said… 🙂 I’m afraid photography has taken a back burner for me lately with everything else I have going on, but I’m really glad that photos from my archives can still be used for a good cause now and then! Thanks James!

James Staddon
    Keymaster

I had evidently switched to MF for something and forgot to switch it back

LOL 🙂 I’ve done that too!

What about a square crop like I attached here? Or is it still not really working?

Square crop is better, actually. It feels “left-weighted” to me now though.

Wow I like your edit! It looks so nice. …Did I really take that picture?

I feel that way a lot….editing really is an integral part of some photos.

Surroundings aren’t that great, there’s a bridge over them that’s not that beautiful, I thought I’d try and get a shot of them anyways.

One thing I’ve learned from my travels is that really great shots are often taken in places that didn’t “feel” beautiful. It’s the work of a landscape photographer to pull out the hidden beauty around them. Even at “epic” places like Glacier National Park, I took a ton of pictures that I thought would be awesome because of the sheer grandeur and perspective, but didn’t like afterward because….I don’t know….I hadn’t really captured it in a beautiful way.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  James Staddon.

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Square crop is better, actually. It feels “left-weighted” to me now though.

You’re so right. I think it’s because the stream part of the waterfall is heading off the bottom left corner of the photo. Plus it feels, like, half-light, half-dark… hmm, I’m not crazy about this photo anymore.

It’s the work of a landscape photographer to pull out the hidden beauty around them.

You make it sound so simple! 🙂 Good point.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest