Card Write Protected

Home Forums Photography Q&A Card Write Protected

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Caitlin Compton 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Yesterday when I got my camera out to take some photos, my LCD screen popped up with the error message – ‘Card Write Protected’. I can still view all the pictures on the 64GB SD card on camera, but it won’t allow me to take any images. I’m not sure why this has happened as I haven’t done anything to it that I’m aware off. 🙁 On the top screen panel of my camera (where it has what settings I’m using, how much battery left etc.) in the place where it says how many photos I have left to take on the card, it’s coming up with Err. Under the ‘Protect Images’ settings in my menu, it’s saying that the card write is protected, but I can’t work out how to turn it off. My other SD cards work no probs. Does anyone know how to fix it? Hopefully what I’ve written there makes sense! 🙂

Austin Vinar
    Participant

Flip the switch on the side of the SD card.

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Aha, @austinvinar! Problem solved. 👍🏻

So, now I’m curious about what the point of it is and why people use it?

Austin Vinar
    Participant

I’ve never heard of anyone using it or it being useful.🙂

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

@creative-click-photography, according to my camera’s user manual, “Memory cards are equipped with a write protect switch to prevent accidental loss of data. When this switch is in the “lock” position, the memory card can not be formatted and photos can not be deleted or recorded…” (emphasis mine)
    I don’t know if anyone uses it – I haven’t ever used it, other than accidentally bumping it. 🙂

blessings captured
    Participant

I lock my memory cards whenever I take them out of my camera and don’t have time to download them. That way I don’t accidental delete the pictures and I know that if a card is locked I haven’t downloaded it.

Logan Lamar
    Participant

I used to take the cards out of my siblings’ cameras (three of us had point-and-shoots) and I would flip that switch to prank them! Other than for that reason, I don’t use it.
    I think @blessingscaptured‘s idea is a good one, though! Normally for me, however, when I haven’t downloaded a card, it’s in my camera and it’s super rare for me to fill a card to capacity without dumping it on my computer first.

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Oops! Thought I had replied to this! 🙂 Thanks @bennett-family, @blessingscaptured and @loganlamar for your thought on this. That’s a good idea, @blessingscaptured. I have accidentally flicked it into lock a couple of more times since! At least now I know what’s happening, so I don’t have to panic about it. Lol. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest