Concert photography

Home Forums Photo Critique Concert photography

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  James Staddon 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Sarah
    Participant

Hello friends! It’s been such a long time since I’ve been on this site, but I’m super happy to say that I finally graduated to a better camera than my cell phone and iPad.

So, last month I went to a Switchfoot/Lifehouse concert and I was able to bring my camera with me!

Photo 1
    Aperture: 4.5
    ISO: 125
    Focal length: 75mm

Photo 2
    Aperture: 4.5
    ISO: 2500
    Focal length: 135mm

I was wondering what y’all thought? This was the first time I’ve ever taken any type of portrait, which I definitely want to practice more! Any tips?

Thanks,
    Sarah

Attachments:

Lewis Family
    Participant

I certainly don’t speak on behalf of anyone else on this site, but in Christian love I suggest this is not the kind of subject matter for this site. I suspect that you, like most of us, enjoy the wonders of God’s people and his marvelous creation. Your use of composition and color suggest you have quite a bit of talent in these areas. Turn these talents toward Him and please share the results.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Hey, it’s good to have you back, @eatsleeppics!

Strictly speaking on the photography side of things, you can see how the second image is considerably lower in quality due to the high ISO and lack of tack sharpness. The dramatic decrease in available light as compared to the first image is probably to blame.

I should also note that this type of photography would be generally considered event photography more than it would be considered portraiture. Portraiture carries with it the idea that the subject is being directed by the photographer, while event photography is a photographer making the most of the situation while having little to no interaction with the subject.

It’s encouraging that the Switchfoot band involves itself in supporting so many humanitarian causes. This is super important! But how a person who calls himself a Christian conducts himself is also super important. What is says in Ephesians 4 is how we know this: “This I say, don’t walk as the Gentiles walk (ie. in the vanity of their mind, having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them because of the blindness of their heart, and who because they are past feeling, have given themselves over to lasciviousness to work all uncleanness with greediness), but INSTEAD!–if you have heard the voice of Christ, and have been taught by him (as the truth is in Jesus!)–you should put off the former conduct of the old man (which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts) and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new man, which like God is created in righteousness and true holiness!”

That was sorta the JAS version. 🙂 But this is strong stuff! It’s worth pulling it up in a Bible and looking up what all those words mean to understand the depth of what God is trying to tell us.

I think what @vince is saying in his comment, is that while the band might say they have a good cause, it is apparent by their bodily conduct, unbridled emotion, physical appearance, facial expressions, and clothing styles (all of which you have communicated so well with only two pictures!), that they sure don’t seem to be “not walking as the Gentiles walk” nor encouraging anyone to be walking in “righteousness and true holiness”. Wholesomeness is what is beautiful in Gods eyes.

Make any sense? 🙂 What do you think? Would love to hear your perspective! Have you ever thought of it this way before?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest