FEATURED: Autumn Artwork Reference Photo

Home Forums Shoot to Serve Photo Assignments FEATURED: Autumn Artwork Reference Photo

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Sierra Zimmerman
    Participant

This picture was taken at Niagara falls.

Attachments:
    Martha Lapp
    Participant

This assignment was rather difficult.. it was hard to try to get creative angles etc, when there were so many trees around…

Attachments:
    Martha Lapp
    Participant

A few more…

Attachments:
    Martha Lapp
    Participant

Last one..🙃

Attachments:
    Charmain Aikema
    Participant

Here up North in Canada it is winter already, but when we received the assignment last month I felt that I should try to make the best of what was available to me and not be lazy and skip the assignment… so I took a number of photos of the last colorful tree with a dirt driveway and a wooden fence in the background… I realize that this is not a winning photo, but I figured if Melissa likes the composition perhaps she can add the colour! 🙂

Attachments:
    Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Here are my submissions! I did not take time to edit out people, cars or telephone wires (like others have said) since these are reference photos.

I shot the first set of photos while out on a walk with some of my siblings. The bridge is on a trail that goes behind our church, and I had photographed it once in [post-snow] winter when everything was brown, so I was pretty sure it would look nice in fall. Thankfully there was still a decent amount of color left in that particular area. The sun was going down fast, but light was still on the treetops so it provided some nice sunshine/shadows contrast.

The next set I took after doing a portrait shoot at a local park…I had a few extra minutes so I went around and found some areas where the trees were casting picturesque shadows, and I could shoot some sunbursts!

And the final two photos were just a random morning that was a little foggy. The autumn colors were almost all gone by that time, but our neighbor’s woods across the street furnished just enough color, and the sun was coming through the remnants of fog that I grabbed the camera and took some shots.

Attachments:
    Lydia Bennett
    Participant

I’m not sure if the final two photos didn’t upload or if they’re just being slow, but here they are again.

Attachments:
    Suzanne Shera
    Participant

I found out about this assignment while we were away by the Chesapeake Bay. I focused on one tree and varied the aperture and angle. I couldn’t use my tripod because i had left the adapter needed.

Attachments:
    Sarah Beers
    Participant

Here are a few pictures I took on a field day from my archives

Attachments:
    Ernest Lloyd
    Participant

I know I’m late again, but better late than never! (10:30 PM)
    I’ve been taking a lot a fall photos other than for this assignment, so I might add in a few of those as well. 🙂

Attachments:
    Ernest Lloyd
    Participant

Might be doubling up…

Attachments:
    Sarah Beers
    Participant

Here are a few more

Attachments:
    Sarah Beers
    Participant

Frazer Family
    Participant

I definitely like the first shot, D2F35309-4260-4683-981C-1EA73C3DF1E1.jpeg, best, because there’s more open space in the sky. You could use this kind of picture for almost anything!

I tweaked it a bit, cropping out the deck chair on the left, which seems to draw one’s eye off the picture instead of towards the subject, and also cropped out the house on the right, which (I find) also does that.

Also, and most importantly, I straightened the image, making your horizon level; this avoids a “hand-held-shot” look.

The effect of the strongly slanted sunlight on the golden leaves is gorgeous. Good timing on the shot!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Frazer Family. Reason: I forgot to attach the picture!
    Attachments:
    James Staddon
    Keymaster

@blessingscaptured, I forgot to reply to your question about horizon’s looking straight…

The horizon is always straight (unless it isn’t) so make the horizon look straight, and the rest of the photo should be correct as well.

LOL 😀

But seriously, both “trees” and “the perceived horizon” (unless you’re in Kansas LOL) can look catawampus so neither are strictly reliable. When you can’t see the “true horizon” what you’re dealing with is an optical illusion. Even if you used a level to take the picture, it would still look not-straight. True horizon will always be level, so I tend to use the horizon in general to level my shots. But since you’re working with something other than true horizon, then it’s a very good idea to use the trees, as @buddingphotographer suggested. If it looks awful either way, then you just have to eyeball it so that the optical illusion is as unnoticeable as possible. You could also try playing with “Transform” or even “Lens Corrections” panels in LR.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest