FEATURED: Bright Path

Home Forums Shoot to Serve Photo Assignments FEATURED: Bright Path

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Esther Machen
    Participant

It looks like it didn’t work…

Esther Machen
    Participant

Trying again! 😂

Attachments:
    Esther Machen
    Participant

Here’s a couple more!

Attachments:
    Sarah Beers
    Participant

Here are some path photos.

Attachments:
    Sarah Beers
    Participant

Here are a few more:

Sarah Beers
    Participant

Looks like they didn’t upload so I’ll try again:

Attachments:
    Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Here are two from my archives I meant to submit yesterday, but they slipped through the cracks.

I realize they don’t have the bright, sunny look that was initially requested, but I thought that the fog in the distance was still appropriate, especially for “Teach Me Thy Way”. We can’t necessarily see clearly into the future, but the path is still there and God reveals where we should go as we need it.

Attachments:
    Ernest Lloyd
    Participant

Here is my try at re-editing my photo submissions.
    I’m still not super satisfied with the results, but I didn’t have much more time to work on them more extensively.

Attachments:
    James Staddon
    Keymaster

@frazer-family, thank you for the info! No need to upload the edited photos to Dropbox.

@kesleyfhall, thanks for the submissions. The rich green color in the photo from your archives is a pleasant change of scenery for this time of year. 🙂

@bennett-family, it’s nice that you had some natural sunlight to photograph so you didn’t have to “Photoshop” it in later!

@esther, that’s the spirit! Always do the best you can.

@sarahb, it’s interesting how the shadows play on the pavement in your photos.

I’m looking forward to critiquing everyone’s work on the webinar tonight. If you haven’t already registered, you can register here: https://www.lenspiration.com/webinar/photo-critique-49/ Critique begins at 7pm ET and usually goes for about an hour.

Greta
    Participant

When I went out to take this photo shoot, I had my little brothers with me and it was 15 degrees, so I didm’t take as much time as I might have otherwise. It was in the morning, and I had a hard time with deep shadows and glaring sun. Do you have any tips with how to deal with sharp/deep shadows outdoors?

Attachments:
    Greta
    Participant

I didn’t realize that these photos hadn’t uploaded.

Attachments:
    James Staddon
    Keymaster

Sounds like a fun excursion, @greta-kennedy! My best photography memories are from when I’m out with my siblings.

Working with mid-day sunlight has always been a challenge for photographers regardless of the technology of the age or the skill level of the photographer. It’s just always hard to work with. The best way to deal with it is like what you did, shoot with the light to your shoulder (your second batch of photos) instead of shooting directly toward the light source (your first photo). However, when doing this, one looses the drama of backlighting. The high contrast is what makes the drama possible, so photographers just have to do what they can to harness it creatively. But it will never be easy, and there is no one particular way to do it. Here are a couple things I find myself doing:

> Use a lens hood to prevent lens flare (like you have in your first shot)
    > If I don’t have a lens hood, I’ll often hold my hand out to block the light
    > Stand in the shadow of an object, or block the directness of the light with a distant object (like a tree)
    > Plan my photoshoots during golden hour (so even though there’s direct light, it’s at more of an angle and more colorful)
    > Shoot for B&W processing (At mid-day there will always be deep, harsh shadows, which looks more artistic and beautiful when processed in B&W)
    > Focus more on composition (On “ugly” times of year, since the scenery isn’t initially attractive usually, I usually have to look more intently for shapes and depth of field and intriguing angles to help my subjects appear more attractive.)
    > Edit the photo like you did. 🙂 Honestly, the first photo you submitted, with the front lighting, I really like; my favorite of all the ones you submitted. However you edited it, or exposed it if you didn’t do any editing, is great; the shadows don’t feel harsh and inky. The other photos, I would brighten up the shadows a bit to help them not feel too contrasty.

Does that help any? Light between the golden hours will always be a challenge. 🙂 Thanks for taking the time to go out and shoot, and submit some of your work!

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Thank you everyone for your submissions!

As announced in the webinar last night, the winners are: @frazer-family (William), @frazer-family (Evelyn), @esther, and @bennett-family!

And if you’d like to watch a replay of the webinar, here’s the link: https://www.lenspiration.com/video/webinar49/

Attachments:
    Esther Machen
    Participant

So exciting!! Congratulations to the rest of the winners!

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Thanks again for your critique of our photos, @jamesstaddon! And congrats to the other winners! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest