April 3, 2021 at 12:02 pm #61277LenspirationModerator
• Publisher: Christian Horstmann from Christian Family Reformation
• Purpose: Our website is dedicated to the promotion of homeschooling and support of the Christian family in our increasingly secular modern culture.
• Request: A professional-quality looking photo of a family in modest clothing, where both parents and at least 3 children (or more) are reading the Bible or praying together. If possible, we’d like to see a mix of both older and younger children. Including grandparent(s) is also a welcomed option.
• Special Instructions: May be an indoor or outdoor shot that gives a general atmosphere of family love and unity. If shooting indoors, a cozy atmosphere, such as the kitchen table or fireside living room are both great settings. For an outdoor location please consider a location that is more rural/quiet/garden-like or something that will convey a sense of serenity and peacefulness. Our preference is for the women and girls to be in skirts/dresses, with the men and boys in button down or polo shirts.
• Orientation: Horizontal or square. This is for the header on our website’s homepage, so we would appreciate a slight off-centering to the right in order to leave room for words and/or logo overlapping the photo on the left.
• Photo Specs: We would prefer to have these submitted in PNG or JPG format. Feel free to edit them any way you think makes them look best! Please have a minimum of 3000 pixels on longest side.
• How to Submit: Members can follow the A, B, C process outlined here. (Instructions for non-members can be viewed here.) You can submit up to 10 photos.
• Remuneration: We will offer $30 to the photographer whose work is selected, as well as a caption on our site that mentions your name/business/studio name.
• Terms: By submitting your photo(s) on this forum, you agree to the terms outlined in the STS Photo Assignment Agreement. Please note that we would also like to have permission to use the photos we receive for other projects that our organization wants to create in the future (including but not limited to book illustrations and covers, and blog post illustrations).
• Deadline: Midnight Saturday, April 24, 2021 (or until this topic is no longer highlighted yellow).
• Important note: The person you photograph (or the parents/guardian of the person) will need to sign a model release (like this one). You do not need to submit the signed model releases to Lenspiration unless specifically requested.
Watch how I shot this assignment and get related training on how to shoot it yourself at On Assignment: Family Having Devotions.
Watch the photos submitted for this assignment get critiqued live by registering for the April 27 Photo Critique Webinar!April 3, 2021 at 12:05 pm #61863April 19, 2021 at 9:46 pm #62095Blessings CapturedParticipantApril 20, 2021 at 2:42 pm #62101April 24, 2021 at 5:38 pm #62245
So glad to see you shot this assignment, @blessingscaptured! It was not an easy assignment, but it sure was a good, growing assignment!
Now that my role here at Lenspiration is officially changing, I’m no longer eligible for payment with the assignments, but I plan to continue shooting assignments alongside you guys…learning, growing, encouraging one another to serve with our photography!
With this assignment, almost everything went differently than I expected. I had a hard time finding a family whose schedule worked with my availability to get these photos taken, but was so grateful when finally I was able to line up the schedule with one family we know!
First, I was shooting with a different camera that I’m getting used to using in preparation for some upcoming weddings. I’m not at a point where I know where all the settings are intuitively, so that took a bit of mental exercise as I was leading the shoot.
Secondly, I thought I remembered the family’s ceiling was white, so I planned to use bounce flash. However, upon arrival, I realized only their kitchen has a white ceiling. Their living room has a wooden ceiling…beautiful, but not quite what you can bounce light off of. So, finding myself unprepared for the lighting situation and shooting with a window behind the subjects proved to be a challenge, both in the actual shoot and in editing afterwards.
Third, after setting up the family on their couch, I asked the dad to act like he was leading them in a time of devotions. Their family soon was reading from the Bible and discussing things from the passage, and I just felt awful asking anyone to tweak poses in the middle of a discussion on the book of Ezra! So, if I was doing it again, I would think more carefully through how I wanted to navigate that situation.
It’s amazing all the things I learn every time I go out to shoot an assignment! That’s one of the reasons I’ve loved shooting assignments for the past several years. That, and the opportunity to serve real-life people with real-life needs. It’s a blessing to be a blessing to others, isn’t it?!April 26, 2021 at 12:31 pm #62263
Well, @blessingscaptured, I’m glad you’re a Lenspiration member, otherwise no one would be getting paid for this assignment! Your pictures will be the first to be reviewed by Christian, and hopefully he’ll decide to use one of them. Thank you for taking the time to shoot and submit your photos. I’ll look forward to critiquing them in the webinar tomorrow night!
For anyone who has not registered for the webinar yet, here’s the link! https://www.lenspiration.com/product/photo-coaching-64/ Price will be $0 if you’re logged in to your membership account.April 27, 2021 at 6:13 pm #62287
Hi everyone! Thank you so much @blessingscaptured, @lenspirationlydia, and @jamesstaddon for putting your time into this project for me! I can’t wait to make use of the winning photo on my site. 🙂
Unfortunately I won’t be able to sit in on the critique live tonight because I don’t get off work till 8, but I’m looking forward to having the replay in the archives so I can see it in the next day or two!
Blessings to you all and thank you again! ~ ChristianApril 29, 2021 at 6:57 pm #62310
Wonderful! This was a really great concept to shoot for, @christian-horstmann. God bless your ministry!April 29, 2021 at 11:11 pm #62313April 30, 2021 at 8:45 pm #62329Blessings CapturedParticipant
It’s a blessing to me that you could use it! I also wanted to extend thanks to my family for being willing to be photographed!May 1, 2021 at 9:10 pm #62338
😀 When I get it all uploaded and set up on my homepage, I’ll post the link here in case you want to see it on there! 🙂May 5, 2021 at 11:11 am #62390
Thank you, @christian-horstmann! I would normally announce the winner here, but I’ll you post a link to your website when it’s up, and everyone can know exactly which photo you decide to use then! In the meantime, everyone can know that it is one of @blessingscaptured photos. 🙂
And if anyone would like to watch the replay of the webinar, here’s the link! https://www.lenspiration.com/video/webinar64/May 5, 2021 at 6:53 pm #62412
😀June 5, 2021 at 10:51 pm #63095June 7, 2021 at 10:22 am #63101
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.