Mist Over Mountains

Home Forums Photo Critique Mist Over Mountains

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lydia Bennett
    Participant

I shot this one morning last week at a camp where I was doing photography…. there’s actually a mountain hiding behind the cloud of fog. I love the scene, but something just doesn’t feel right about the photo, and I’m not sure what it is! Any thoughts?

Shot in Manual
    Edited in Lightroom 6
    Specs in Filename

Both photos are exactly the same except that the second version is uncropped.

Attachments:
    Michelle Terrell
    Participant

real nice where did you take it.

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

I was in Massachusetts.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Lydia Bennett.
    Kina Lamb
    Participant

It’s missing a Bible verse in the fog! 😀

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Oh, I love foggy days!

So, let’s think this through. You said “I love the scene”; can you identify exactly which elements in the photo draw you in? Or was it more that when you were there in-person you loved it, but when you got it up on your screen you were like, “it’s just not the same”?

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Hmm ok, let’s see. What draws me in? Well, the fog. I haven’t really had the opportunity to capture foggy pictures like that, so that’s what got me excited in the moment. …I like the way the trees are being unveiled. I think the thing that bothers me is that I feel like I may have been successful in capturing the “feel” of the moment to a certain degree, but it just seems flat, which I think takes away from the “wow” effect that could be there.

So, in short, I’d say the “unveiling of the mountain” portion of the photo is what I love the most.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Gotcha. I think you’re right. Maybe this is why…

In both photos, it’s true that some of this feeling of “unveiling” is perceived. In the uncropped photo it is less obvious, though, because the transition area from trees to fog is quite small (see attached). Perhaps it feels flat because, instead of there being many layers of more or less fog-covered trees transitioning from clear to completely covered, there’s really only a small pocket in the middle of the photo.

The cropped photo I seemed to like better on the outset, and now I think it’s because there are more perceived layers between clear and covered trees. There is a greater feeling of depth. However, that photo is a crop, so the quality isn’t quite the same, and doesn’t appear tack sharp, my guess being the lens mostly to blame.

This multiple overlap may be why this photo was noticed and picked up by Jeff Schultz Photography.

Attachments:
    Lydia Bennett
    Participant

That makes a lot of sense. So I don’t think there’s necessarily anything I could’ve done differently in this situation other than wait for the fog to lift a little more and show more layers (if only there had been time!). And there’s not really anything else I can do at this point, since the crop looks better but like you said, the quality just isn’t there.

I think this can officially be chalked up to an “Oh well, almost but not quite!” situation, and I’ll look forward to another time God gives me a similar scene to photograph – but better! 🙂

This multiple overlap may be why this photo was noticed and picked up by Jeff Schultz Photography.

That’s really neat! Yeah, that’s definitely more the look and feel I was hoping for with my shot.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest