Thanksgiving Still Life

Home Forums Photo Critique Thanksgiving Still Life

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Frazer Family
    Participant

Since today is Canadian Thanksgiving, I prepared for it last week by setting up this shot. It’s an HDR, compiled in Darktable from three shots each separated by two full stops.

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
    Lens: EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS
    Focal length 171 mm
    ISO: 100
    Speed (-2 stop): 1/1250 sec
    Speed (0 stop): 1/320 sec
    Speed (+2 stop): 1/80 sec
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Flash: none
    Shooting mode: Aperture Value

Attachments:
    James Staddon
    Keymaster

I just love the autumn feelings associated with this photo! I wouldn’t have guessed it was an HDR. That’s a good thing. It still looks very natural. Perhaps give it a bit more sharpness (unless it’s the JPG compression that makes it feel soft….soft, not out of focus)? The vignette is a bit heavy to me. I love the arrangement, the onions stacked like that and everything nestled down into the leaves, and some leaves haphazardly fallen upon the gourds. Maybe it would have been nice to see some element of the white gourd to make it seem more like a gourd (like the end or top)? But having something another color other than warm orange, yellow or red is really needed. This is the kind of photo I’d like to have in my collection! The background blur is tremendous too. Glad you got it even at f5.6.

Frazer Family
    Participant

Thanks James, for the comments.
    I wonder where the softness you’re seeing comes from; maybe it’s the result of slight camera movement between frames?
    I don’t think it’s out of focus.
    What’s funny to me is that, upon examination, the softness, which is present in the .DNG file too, looks as though it comes from a denoiser. I didn’t use one, though. Maybe that’s just a by-product of HDR?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest