Cinnamon Rolls!

Home Forums Photo Critique Cinnamon Rolls!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  James Staddon 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Eliana Franzenburg
    Participant

I have always wanted to try food photography but never had the equipment to make it look good. Now I got a cable to enable the flash to come off the camera and have been learning how to use it along with my new camera. (which I am LOVING) ๐Ÿ™‚
    When I made cinnamon rolls the other day I decided to see if I could get a fairly good photo and this the one Iโ€™m happiest with.

I also cut out the rolls and put them on a plain background as I thought the pan was slightly distracting, What do you think?

ISO 100
    f/9
    1/200
    I was standing on a foot stool and had the camera in one hand with the flash in the other.

I would love any advice you could give me!

Attachments:

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

You’re making me hungry with those cinnamon rolls!

What is the purpose of the photo? Let’s say you are trying to advertise “Eliana’s Scrumptious Cinnamon Rolls”. Here’s the thing: the rolls look yummy to me because I love cinnamon rolls. But you need to visually prove [to the cinnamon-roll-skeptic] that these are yummy. I think that would be better achieved at a different angle. Something that would just beg them to grab one of those rolls and verify just how delicious they really are! I’d be interested to hear more thoughts on the what’s trying to be achieved here. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’d agree about the pan, especially with just a little bit of the other pan on the left side of the photo. It’s hard to tell whether that other pan is supposed to be in or out of the photo, so I’d make that more clear. So it was a great idea to take the rolls out of the pan. The only thing is, I don’t think most people would just take them out of the pan and leave them all stuck together. At least I wouldn’t. So I think if you separated them and arranged them artistically on a plate, that would be really nice. If you really want to keep them stuck together, I think I’d put it on a more visible background, maybe even something textured like a nice Christmas plaid or something (you can tell I’m in the Christmas spirit!).

I haven’t done much with food photography myself, so it’s fun to think through that! I do always enjoy observing photos of food and what makes them look good.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Lydia Bennett.

Eliana Franzenburg
    Participant

@bennett-family I guess the purpose behind the photo is to just make them look pretty and delicious as possible. I never really think what the purpose is behind the photos I take unless I’m intending to use the photo for something such as a desktop background a card etc. But that’s probably something I should start doing. ๐Ÿ™‚

itโ€™s hard to tell whether that other pan is supposed to be in or out of the photo, so Iโ€™d make that more clear

I did not intend for the other pan to be in the end result but I was holding the camera with one hand so couldn’t really zoom like I would like (currently working on a way around that) ๐Ÿ™‚

I actually cut the pan out in photoshop, sorry didn’t make that clear. Once we took them out of the pan they sort of fell apart and didn’t look quite as nice.

I think Iโ€™d put it on a more visible background, maybe even something textured like a nice Christmas plaid

That’s a good idea! I will try that! Staging things is not my strong suit so it will be a challenge! (Do you have any tips for that?)

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

I guess the purpose behind the photo is to just make them look pretty and delicious as possible.

Ok, good to know!

I did not intend for the other pan to be in the end result but I was holding the camera with one hand so couldnโ€™t really zoom like I would like (currently working on a way around that) ๐Ÿ™‚

Do you have a tripod? If you do, you could set up the shot, then once camera/tripod and the cinnamon rolls are set in place just how you want them, you could hold your flash and either do use the self-timer on the camera or a remote shutter release. The chances of getting a really nice photo doing some sort of balancing act with camera in this hand, something in that hand… seem slim to me. At least, if it was me, the probability of a good outcome would be pretty low. ๐Ÿ˜€

I actually cut the pan out in photoshop, sorry didnโ€™t make that clear.

Aha! That’s what it looked like to me. Quick note about that: I don’t have photoshop, so you can take this or leave it, but when something looks photoshopped it looks unnatural. I can’t really give advice on how to photoshop things to look natural, but I thought I’d mention that. ๐Ÿ™‚ To me, it shouldn’t look cut-and-paste.

Staging things is not my strong suit so it will be a challenge! (Do you have any tips for that?)

Oh wow there are so many possibilities!! Let’s see… here are a few ideas (you’re getting them as they come randomly into my head โ˜บ):
    – stack ’em up
    – put one on a plate with a drizzle or cinnamon sprinkled on (add a glass of milk and utensils if you want!)
    – crop in on your original photo so it’s just an intrigue of cinnamon roll shapes
    – cinnamon rolls, plaid tablecloth, maybe some ribbons, for a festive look
    – if you want to capture the baking process, you could have a hand with a pot holder on it holding the tray like it’s being taken or was just taken out of the oven
    – try out different angles

I’ll stop there for now! Just a couple ideas ๐Ÿ™‚

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Those look like the amazing cinnamon rolls my brother makes! Maybe try diffusing the flash? It it only me, but does it appear like the angle of light is almost the same as the on-camera flash?

Eliana Franzenburg
    Participant

@jamesstaddon

does it appear like the angle of light is almost the same as the on-camera flash?

It does but that was the effect I wanted but with just a little bit more depth. I had the flash on the far left but also had it pointing down slightly (does that make sense?). I have some more photos where I put the flash on the counter, left of the pan but I didn’t like those as much.

Ben Glick
    Participant

Wow! So I’ve gotta say I love photography, but I love cinnamon rolls more, so this photo caught my attention quickly!

~ Two points real quick/ First – Your background may not be most optimal. Second – Lighting.

~ First: I love cinnamon rolls! However your background may not be most carefully thought through for this shot, now I have never done food photography before so this one is a little outside my understanding. However, it would seem again that you’re are trying to establish a connection with your viewers, (that being on how good it looks!) So, I would take sometime and throw them on a background that people can relate to more! – On a plate with people or other items in the background, in the oven, with the whole oven in view… So just make sure you are establishing that key background that pulls your viewer in!

~ Second: Wow I love the clarity of the Rolls! It is truly amazing, but your lighting like hit me in the face on that second photo! So bright with the contrast! I would (personally, you don’t have too) lower the lighting on the rolls, or I would again change the angle at which the light is reflecting off of the rolls, it just seems like a touch too much for what you are trying to do here!

I love the photo’s and the cinnamon rolls! Good luck!

blessings captured
    Participant

@Ben Glick please stop taking words that are holy in vain. ”Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain”(Ex 20:7). Even if we are just reading it, it is putting something profane into our minds.

Ben Glick
    Participant

I am very sorry, I had no intention of using any profane language at all, I’m really sorry my comment came across like that, um, which word did I say was profane?

Again I’m very sorry that I included crude language in my sentence, I just can’t figure out where?

blessings captured
    Participant

It is at the end of the sentence that begins. ” It is truly amazing, but…”
    In Heaven “They rest not day and night, saying Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.”(Revelations 4:8) God is the only One that is Holy.
    Thank you for considering this,I appreciate it.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Thanks for bringing that up! The text has been edited. You are so right, moles sure aren’t holy!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest