January 18, 2019 at 12:02 pm #36090
• Purpose: We at StoryEmbers.org, a site dedicated to guiding and inspiring Christian storytellers to glorify God with excellent craftsmanship, are looking for a photo to accentuate an inspirational writing quote on our social media channels.
• Request: An image that illustrates the following quote by Janet Frame: “Writing a novel is not merely going on a shopping expedition across the border to an unreal land: it is hours and years spent in the factories, the streets, the cathedrals of the imagination.” Finding the perfect image to highlight this quote might be difficult, but we look forward to seeing how your photographers translate this one to visual form!
• Specifics: Use your imagination! This is not a request for a specific image….think creatively and come up with a concept that you can shoot near you that illustrates this quote in some way, whether it relates to cathedrals or not. Leave room somewhere for the quote text to be overlaid. A transparent black mask may be added to make the text stand out. (You can view some of our other quote graphics by visiting our Instagram: https://instagram.com/story_embers)
• Orientation: Photo will be cropped square.
• Photo Specs: Submit JPGs, at least 1500×1500 pixels in dimensions. Edit however you like.
• How to Submit: Attach JPGs less than 8MB in size in reply to this topic.
• Remuneration: Thanks to an anonymous donor, $20 will be awarded to Lenspiration Members if their photo is chosen!
• Terms: The graphic will be shared on all of StoryEmber’s social media channels (Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram), possibly all on the same day but it may be different days depending on how we coordinate it. We’ll attribute the photographer and mention Lenspiration in the description. We may share the quote graphic again in the future, but we won’t be using the photo for any other projects. There are no restrictions for how you, as the photographer, may use the picture for other purposes.
• Deadline: Midnight Saturday, February 9, 2019 (or until this topic is no longer highlighted yellow).
Sound like fun? I’m really looking forward to this one!
Get related training and watch how I shot this assignment at http://www.lenspiration.com/learn-cathedrals-imagination
Sign up to watch the critique of the photos submitted for this assignment in February’s live Photo Critique Webinar! http://www.lenspiration.com/photo-critique-with-lenspiration-feb-12
January 18, 2019 at 12:05 pm #36154January 28, 2019 at 1:35 pm #36618
- This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by James Staddon.
These are some ideas that I had. This goes a little bit more with the “imagination” than the “cathedrals”, although it sure felt like an outdoor cathedral of winter wonder when I shot these!
By the way @jamesstaddon (or anyone else), I’ve been wondering, in cases when you’re supposed to have a model release on file, do you still do that when it’s your sibling in the photo? 🙂
February 2, 2019 at 7:27 pm #36803
- This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Lydia Bennett.
I like the middle photo, with the ice-covered branch over the dark clothing. The young woman seems to be imagining that she is in a cathedral. 🙂February 4, 2019 at 5:19 pm #36809
Oh my, what a beautiful setting @bennett-family! I’m so glad to see you pursuing your own creative interpretation on the quote!!February 6, 2019 at 8:50 pm #36906
Here are some more concept pictures I took the other day!
February 12, 2019 at 11:59 am #37082
- This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Lydia Bennett.
Ok folks, thank you so much for participating here; we’ll look forward to seeing if a winner has been chosen by tonight’s webinar! http://www.lenspiration.com/photo-critique-with-lenspiration-feb-12February 13, 2019 at 11:32 am #37129
It was a better webinar last night than normal….no Internet connection issues. 🙂 Here’s the replay link to watch the critique of the photos submitted for this assignment! http://www.lenspiration.com/webinar021219February 22, 2019 at 3:10 pm #37264
And a winner has been chosen! Here’s the comments from Brianna at Story Embers:
“I’d like to choose 20190121-LGB_0239.jpg as the winner. The composition is stunning! The beautiful purple gown pops against the wintry surroundings, and the subject seems to be deep in thought. There’s also ample space to place the quote alongside the young lady. Please thank your photographers for all their hard work! We’re looking forward to showcasing the selected image and connecting our audiences. We’ll be sharing the quote graphic on all our social media channels on February 28th. :-)”
Thank you @bennett-family! The money is coming your way.
February 22, 2019 at 5:37 pm #37270
- This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by James Staddon.
That’s so exciting! Grateful for a sister willing to brave 20 degree weather for a few minutes just to be part of an epic picture! I still can’t quite believe how beautifully it came out, and how well that particular photo ended up capturing the “magical” feeling outside that day.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.