FEATURED: Sweet as Honey

Home Forums Shoot to Serve Photo Assignments FEATURED: Sweet as Honey

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Greta
    Participant

I think I was pleased with the photos I took overall, but I am not sure what to do about the shadows in the background. Pretty much all of our morning sun comes through the trees, so I’m not sure what I would have done other wise. I am interested to hear what you think and if you have some suggestions or tips.
    I also had a question concerning how many photos to take in a typical Lenspiration assignment. I know the amount of photos from a photo shoot will change considerably depending on the subject. In the past I have taken a very large quantity of photos and then deleted most of the photos choosing somewhere from 2 to 10 photos as my product. About how many photos should I take for a typical Lenspiration assignment, before narrowing down and choosing the few I want to keep? Thank you again for teaching photography!

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

I got a bit carried away with this assignment too! There was something so enchanting about the light and the honey, and I could hardly stop. I thought to include the Bible to really picture the concept that God’s Word is sweeter than honey in a vivid way, so I shot two different ideas with that in mind. I had so many other ideas I wanted to do (like, I didn’t even get outdoors with it!), but stopped there. 🙂

I’m not sure I did as well as I hoped with leaving space for textual purposes, but I tried!

I used a combo of light sources: natural light from large windows (for the backlight), bounced my speedlite (to brighten the whole foreground), and created a touch of amplification for the first set of photos with a lightbulb on a stand with a diffusing umbrella (that light isn’t all that bright, but it did help a little bit).

Fun fact: the little Bible I used for these shoots (I think we found it cleaning out someone’s house one time) was actually printed in 1854! The print is really tiny in it 🙂

(Some of these are pretty similar to each other, but I decided to include them to give the designer a bit more flexibility with options, at the same time, not going overboard on how many I submitted either.)

Attachments:
    Lydia Bennett
    Participant

And here’s the other set.

Attachments:
    Caleb Moulder
    Participant

I tried this in a controlled environment. Indoors

Attachments:
    Amanda Holzhausen
    Participant

Hi my name is Darla. This is raw local honey from my dad’s beehive.

Attachments:
    Esther M
    Participant

Here’s my submissions! One thing I will note is the cake in a the pictures is a “honey cake”! It is a traditional Lithuanian cake, but after learning it is not as popular as I thought, I added the honey bowl. Also, “medus” is the word for Lithuanian word for honey. 😀

Thanks to my bro for my new logo!! 🤗

Attachments:
    Esther M
    Participant

There were a lot of different angles…lol! The last two honey jar photos, I used a board as a tan background. As far as lighting, the jars were taken outside. The honey cake and the bowl in the earlier photos, I had a variety of lights indoors. I always seem to have the most interesting DIY lighting setups! 😂

Attachments:
    Esther M
    Participant

Two more…

Attachments:
    Sarah Beers
    Participant

Here are a few honey bee photos.

Attachments:
    Sarah Beers
    Participant

Here are a few close ups of dripping honey.

Attachments:
    Sarah Beers
    Participant

Here are some more photos.

Attachments:
    Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Enjoyed this assignment!

Attachments:
    Caitlin Compton
    Participant

And, two more…

Attachments:
    James Staddon
    Keymaster

I have been very pleased with both the quantity and quality of the photos submitted for this assignment! I have a feeling it will be quite difficult for Eric to choose which one photo he’ll use in the calendar. Maybe he’ll want to illustrate that same verse in the next 10 years of calendars. 🙂

I’m looking forward to looking over and critiquing these photos tomorrow evening at 7pm ET: https://www.lenspiration.com/webinar/photo-critique-52/

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Wow, guys, it was a great webinar last night and so exciting to announce the winner! There were so many winner pictures submitted, in my opinion. 30, to be exact, that I felt would do well being sold as stock or added to a portfolio, and 13, actually, that I liked so much that I wish they could be in my portfolio! 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest