Do I need a second lens, and if so, which one?

Home Forums Photography Q&A Do I need a second lens, and if so, which one?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nathanael & Samantha Frazer 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Logan Lamar

Hey everyone!
    I’m considering the addition of another lens for my Canon 60D. I currently shoot with one of (I think) the best kit lenses available, the EF-S 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 IS. I love this lens, and as it is an all-purpose lens, it serves all my purposes quite well. I never have to change lenses during a shoot, and I never really am itching for a different focal length.
    However, as with most zoom lenses, it’s a bit lackluster in minimum aperture, and I’ve heard kit lenses are generally poor quality. I’d like to experiment with lower apertures and see the difference in image quality, but I’m not really sure if purchasing another lens is a good choice for my photography situations.
    I’ve been taking photos with the Canon 60D and 18-200mm lens for about two years. As for what I find myself shooting the most, I shoot everything: landscapes, events, weddings, portraits, macros—you name it. Most of the time, I take pictures of my many little siblings; I especially love shooting landscapes; the idea of night photography intrigues me… I like to experiment.

Here’s my main question: am I really missing something that would be gained with a higher quality lens?
    And if so, which lens would be the best “next lens” to go into my camera bag?

If you don’t feel limited by your current equipment, don’t buy just for the sake of having more stuff. Buy stuff that fills a hole or answers to a need. That being said, you can’t really know the advantages
    Here are a few advantages to higher class lenses:
    Build quality. Canon’s L lenses for example are built like tanks making them very reliable, harder to break, more resistant to weather.
    AF speed. the advantages to that are obvious.
    Better AF in low light. A higher quality, larger aperture lens will lock into a subject more easily even when the light is iffy.
    Aperture. This is a big deal. You don’t appreciate it until you try it. It gives you more light for when there’s not much light, and allows for a shallow depth of field, which is handy for blurring backgrounds.
    Better image quality. There are thousands of ways to quantify IQ, some helpful, some not. Things like sharpness, latitudinal chromatic aberration, longitudinal chromatic aberration, corner sharpness, vignetting, flaring, etc. You can use tools like LensTip or The Digital Picture to get info on the IQ of lenses. Stay away from DXO for lenses as their databases are full of mistakes and there results are sometimes… fishy.

I dont know what your budget is, but my suggestion is a 50mm 1.8 STM. (Don’t get the older versions, the stm is worth it.) it checks most of the boxes with medium build quality, decent AF, good IQ, and an f/1.8 aperture. At ~$100, it’s also one of the cheapest lenses you can buy. It will be great for weddings, events, portraits, etc.
    For landscapes and night photography you could look at getting something wide and large aperture. Canon has a fantastic little 10-18 IS, which would be great for expanding your landscape possibilities. But they have no wide aperture wide angle lenses for Crop cameras like the 60D. For that I’d look at the Tokina 11-20 f/2.8 or 14-24 f/2.0. The latter has a much wide aperture, but doesn’t expand on your focal range much. They run around 450 and 600 respectively.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest