How to Expose for the Dress

Home Forums Photography Q&A How to Expose for the Dress

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Eliana Franzenburg 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Eliana Franzenburg
    Participant

This is something I wondered about for a long time and would like to know the answer.
    When you photograph weddings how do you get the dress properly exposed? I’m not asking for any reason other than its bothered me for a long time 🙂 I’m not planing on ever doing weddings but I know some of you have.

Daniel Hancock
    Participant

I haven’t done weddings (officially at least), but never had an issue with white t-shirts and the like. As long as you are somewhat close, you can generally push the highlights when editing a RAW file.

Attachments:

David Frazer
    Participant

I am far from being a wedding photographer, but I would be inclined to say that you don’t expose for the dress – you expose for the faces, and if you shoot in RAW you should still have enough detail in the dress. Of course, if the bride has very dark skin, and is wearing a white dress you could have issues…

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Like the others, I shoot RAW so I don’t recall worrying about exposing for the dress. I guess for me I keep an eye on it like I would clouds in any scene. I keep highlight alert enabled all the time, so any time I glance at the screen and there are areas in the dress that are blinking, then I dial down the exposure appropriately.

Eliana Franzenburg
    Participant

Ahh…That makes sense. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest