Lens Upgrade

Home Forums Photography Q&A Lens Upgrade

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    James Staddon
    Keymaster

I’ve learned a lot reading this thread!

@mr-quebec, if you’re going for wildlife, then you’ll always wish you had a longer lens than 200mm. Even on a APS-C sensor, 200mm just doesn’t reach far enough. If you haven’t already made a decision, I would go with the 300mm, determine it’s sharpest zone (with both aperture and shutter speed), and do your best to stay within that range when you’re using it. While sharpening using software is never a good substitute for using a sharp lens, it’s better quality, I think, to zoom in instead of crop.

Mr. Quebec
    Participant

I just got a 70-300 IS today, and I am impressed! I have not yet really tried it in real life, but it looks quite good.

Ezra Morley

I just got a 70-300 IS today, and I am impressed! I have not yet really tried it in real life, but it looks quite good.

That’s good news! Let’s hope it’s as good in real life as the first impressions are! We’ll be looking for some pictures! πŸ˜‰

Mr. Quebec
    Participant

I did some indoor tests and this is what I came up with :
    Autofocus : fine but a bit slow
    IS : quite good, just noisy
    Sharpness : That’s the one I care the most. The pictures tend to be soft, but sharpness greatly improve when narrowing the aperture. Picture quality seems great at f/8 or f/9. Since I plan to use that lens for wildlife, it’s not a big problem for me, since I have generally enough light to work with.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Yay! Glad the lens arrived and you’ve already been able to begin figuring out it’s sweet spots!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest