Photo Manipulation: How much is too much?

Home Forums Photography Q&A Photo Manipulation: How much is too much?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  James Staddon 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Eliana Franzenburg
    Participant

Hi!
    I don’t think you “over manipulated” your photos. Personally I think that when editing pictures it should always be in a way that enhances (contrast,sharpening,cropping) because sometimes the camera just can’t get the beauty of let’s say flowers.
    I totally get that manipulating is very fun but I try to stick to how GOD made it.
    Hope this is helpful.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Good point, @elianafranzenburg! When something looks “off” or disproportionate or just “not right”, then it’s a telltale sign that the manipulation wasn’t done in such a way that was consistent with how God made the world. The finches, for example, that @bensharpeningcharacter noted screamed to him CGI. 🙂

Austin Vinar
    Participant

How do people feel about replacing backgrounds? Like this.

Attachments:

Eliana Franzenburg
    Participant

Very pretty photo! But I think it does look a little artificial. If you do want to replace backgrounds leave a little bit of texture like a few branches.
    Personally I like photos better when theres a subject and also like a blurred backgrounds. That’s just my point of view.

Dan Cope
    Participant

I love the photo! Although I agree with Eliana that your background replacement looks a little artificial and needs more texture. As it is it gives the appearance of the bird being “cut and pasted” onto a white background. Especially around the top part of the bird. But to address your question specifically, I do not think that replacing a background is a bad or wrong thing to do. Especially in a case like this where the background is blurred anyway.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Honestly, if you hadn’t told me, I could tell. I really like that soft background you added! I’d be curious to know what the original looked like, @austinvinar

• This reply was modified 2 days, 10 hours ago by  James Staddon.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest