Playing with Graphic stuff

Home Forums Photo Critique Playing with Graphic stuff

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Logan Lamar 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Eliana Franzenburg
    Participant

Hey!
    I’ve been learning how to add text and stuff to my pictures with photoshop elements and am really enjoying putting bible verses on them. πŸ™‚ These are my favorites so far. Any advice how I could make them better would be awesome.

Eliana Franzenburg
    Participant

Okay lets see if this works πŸ™‚

Attachments:

David Frazer
    Participant

I like the choice of verses that go with the pictures. Watch out for typos though… πŸ™‚ Keep doing more of these – the more you do and the more you look at other people’s work (book covers, magazine covers, bookmarks, etc), the better you will get!

James Staddon
    Keymaster

The size of the text depends on what you’re designing it for, but I like to use Scripture to complement a picture I want to use as a desktop background. I like to try incorporating or fitting text in such a way that complements the elements that are in the picture.

Attachments:

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

@elianafranzenburg – Something I like to do when adding text to image is playing around with different fonts and sizes. Making the “important” words big and a different font can add a bit more of a punch to it. Sometimes, I use the eyedropper tool to pick out a colour from the image. That way the text colour matches perfectly.

Attachments:

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

For an example of what I mean. πŸ™‚

Attachments:

Ezra Morley

Wow, those are some beautiful examples, @jamesstaddon and @creative-click-photography! You are inspiring me to try some of my own! πŸ™‚ Here’s a quick attempt with a photo I took recently with my little pocket camera in Mexico:

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  Ezra Morley.
    Attachments:

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Thanks! Nice shot, @buddingphotographer.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

These examples are inspiring!

Hannah Schmechel
    Participant

I love all of those shots! I would enjoy doing that with my pictures. Do you have to use Photoshop or Lightroom to add text to your photos? Currently, I have neither of those.

Ezra Morley

I love all of those shots! I would enjoy doing that with my pictures. Do you have to use Photoshop or Lightroom to add text to your photos? Currently, I have neither of those.

You don’t have to have Photoshop or Lightroom. I used Affinity Photo for my version. You could also use GIMP (which is free available from here: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/).

The trick to this kind of thing has more to do with the “artist’s conception” than the software used. Much of my “design work” is borrowed from other people’s work that I admire and try to duplicate on my own. I have seen people do some pretty amazing stuff with an old version of Microsoft Powerpoint or Word! πŸ™‚

I’ll give you a hint, a good font will be the first step to making something like the examples you’ve seen in this thread. Whatever you do, PLEASE don’t use Times New Roman or Sans Serif (or any other common font for that matter)!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Ezra Morley

Here’s an example of something I did a while ago for a desktop background for my laptop. The funny thing is that I got almost all of the inspiration for this particular design from my PDF viewing software!! πŸ™‚ You just never know where you a graphics designer might get his inspiration. πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Ezra Morley.
    Attachments:

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Everyone’s examples are so beautiful! Another option which I sometimes use is to have the text on a solid border across the bottom of the picture, particularly when the picture is busy and has a lot in it.

Attachments:

Logan Lamar
    Participant

Yes, @hannah, I totally agree with @buddingphotographerβ€”you really don’t need Photoshop just to add text. GIMP is great (and FREE) for thatβ€”and actually, you can also just use a word processor program and take a screen shot (for web purposes only).
    I actually have a job that requires me to use Photoshop, and I can say I unfortunately love it more than Affinity (as I know what I’m doing in Photoshop!)β€”but I love Affinity for it’s non-subscription price. If you are just wanting to try photo editing, start with GIMP. It may feel like driving a twenty-year-old Toyota Camry, but it will get you from point A to point B, and you can get really proficient in it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest