Removing fog in post-processing

Home Forums Photography Q&A Removing fog in post-processing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Frazer Family
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I have a question for someone who is good at after-shot corrections. When I took this shot, the rain forced me to keep my camera inside a clear plastic bag. Also, there was a lot of fog rising from the puddle in this shot. I didn’t like the fog/blurriness effect, so I used Darktable software to achieve the second photo. However, I wasn’t happy with the result. Now, I realize that this isn’t the greatest photo, but any tips on removing the fogginess would be appreciated.

Exif data is applicable to both images.
    Camera make: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
    Lens: DF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    Focal length: 22 mm
    Sutter speed: 1/1250 sec.
    Aperature: f/3.5
    ISO: 400 (which is quite high for this age of camera)

Thanks!

Attachments:
    Ezra Morley

I spent about 45 seconds in FastStone Image Viewer, and this is what I came up with…

Attachments:
    Eliana Franzenburg
    Participant

Here is what I did in Photoshop Elements and iPhoto. It’s pretty grainy but the fog is less noticeable.

Attachments:

some good examples of how far an image can be pushed here. As you noted, there is only so much as can be done with fog (that goes with any image with fog and applies to rain, foggy lens, and ) as one cannot recuperate data that isn’t there.
    As to tips, what I’m seeing in Ezra’s and Eliana’s edits is basically increased contrast and, especially, clarity. I got similar results in Lightroom by increasing contrast 100%, pulling blacks and whites toward the edges, and putting an inverted circular mask over the tree-ish areas with increased clarity. (Helps the other parts of the image stay intact, if you apply aggressive adjustments specifically to the areas that need them most).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest