Stuck Focus on Canon EF-S 18-200mm IS

Home Forums Photography Q&A Stuck Focus on Canon EF-S 18-200mm IS

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Logan Lamar 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Logan Lamar
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    I’m having my first problem with gear that is either wearing out or breaking…
    My 7-year-old Canon 18-200mm lens is having focus problems. The focus ring regularly gets stuck when using the long side of the lens when the lens is oriented horizontally. I don’t have this problem when I physically point the lens down, or use a shorter focal length.

I’m thinking about sending it in for repairs. If anyone has any experience doing this, please share it! If there’s an easy fix to this problem, please save me some money by sharing it as well.

Thanks,
    Logan

Logan Lamar
    Participant

Hm… I guess nobody has any experience with sending things in to Canon. Any thoughts, anyone?

Josiah Waldner
    Participant

Well, I have never used a 18-200, but I do have a 24- 105 L series that got a broken AF cable inside. I did send that in. $300 later, I got it back. I though that was pretty expensive for that lens. It got a crack in the barrel now, and I don’t think that I will get it repaired because of the price.
    I don’t know what a 18-200 is worth, but you may be better off going lens shopping 🙂 I once took a lens apart- it might be a easy fix. You could try to take the rubber of the focus ring grip and see if there is any thing obvious wrong. Other wise, you will end up tearing the whole thing apart. It’s not too complex, but there is a risk to it. You could look at the Lensrentals blog- they recently tore down a 70-200 to remove a fly, of all things!
    Let us know what you find!

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Is there any way to get an estimate?

I too had/have problems with my 24-105 L. It wasn’t AF though. It was the zoom ring. After having it the rain many, many years ago (actually rather intentionally to test it’s weather-sealing….not that great of an idea), it would get stuck at about 40mm, and wouldn’t zoom out any more. After pointing the barrel straight up, it would get unstuck and zoom out to 24mm like it was supposed to. It would stick again if I went back to horizontal. This was the case several days after it got rained on, and it’s been fickle ever since. Sometimes it will get stuck, and sometimes it would act like just a normal lens. Right now it’s fine, and has been for a long time. Needless to say, I keep it dry all the time now, so perhaps that was the cause.

Logan Lamar
    Participant

@jamesstaddon,
    I looked into what it would start at (by punching in my lens model and serial no.), and it was around $125.
    The problem isseeming to resolve itself. Maybe just keep working with it and see what happens?

That said, I have not babied this non-weather-sealed lens for the seven years I’ve had it. I haven’t abused it by any means, but I do live in the Pacific Northwest. It has gotten rained on, exposed to salty air from ocean spray, kicked around in my backpack (while attached to my 60D), hung off my belt while cycling quickly to the marina to capture a sunset, gotten sand in it… it’s been through a lot with me. I’ve used it for well over 30,000 shutter clicks (not that that would affect the lens, but it was there for those shots!).

This same lens used in excellent+ condition off of KEH camera is going for about $300-400. Maybe purchasing a “new” one would be better?

And while I would like to upgrade out of this lens eventually, I don’t want to part with the amazing versatility this one lens has.

Any thoughts?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest