12 Tips for Puppy Photography

Home Forums Photography Q&A 12 Tips for Puppy Photography

This topic contains 54 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Ezra Morley 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Ezra Morley
    Participant

Thanks, @jamesstaddon! We actually just created a website for our puppy business that features quite a few of my puppy photos. You can see it here: https://www.acornacrespuppies.com/

Look under the “Picture Gallery” pages for photos.

Hannah Moore
    Participant

Nice website @buddingphotographer. I love all the pictures!!
    Sure is quite time consuming, taking all those pictures! 🙂 Though it’s rewarding in the end!!

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Hannah Moore.

Ezra Morley
    Participant

Thanks, @hannahm. It is a lot of work, no doubt about that! It’s the kind of challenge I enjoy though, (the website especially, not posing the puppies 🙂 )

Hannah Moore
    Participant

My guess was that you made the website, especially since you like computer programming right!! 🙂

Frazer Family
    Participant

Beautiful work, @buddingphotographer! Looking at your photos inspired me to try shooting some baby rabbit pictures yesterday. (So we could put them up for sale.) Unfortunately, I didn’t set my shutter speed fast enough. I forgot that though baby rabbits often will sit still for a photo, their breathing is so fast that 1/200th doesn’t freeze that vibration. I want to try again, but in the mean time I thought I’d post the photos that almost succeeded. You’ve done a lot of photographing animals for sale. Do you have any tips on what kinds of photos tend to sell the animal?

And @jamesstaddon, we just watched part of a webinar that we missed on camera settings for shooting baby goats. Thanks for the idea of continuous focus mode and dynamic focus area mode. I know I learned about those settings before, but I had forgotten about them and their uses. It wasn’t so useful for the bunny photo session, but I’m sure it’s going to be handy when our lambs are born!

Attachments:

Ezra Morley
    Participant

Thanks, @frazer-family! Good work yourself! 🙂 I think your hardest time will be convincing people that you actually took those photos, not steal them from a stock website somewhere. 🙂 Honestly, I think I would be happy with what you have. 99% won’t even know that the bunny was breathing so fast that his left whisker is slightly blurry.

I don’t necessarily have any fancy tips for selling animals. I aim for the cutest picture possible, and the let the person sell themselves on the subject. 🙂

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Oh, I just couldn’t resist telling you that those bunny pictures are absolutely adorable! 🙂 Great job @frazer-family! My favourite is #1! 😀

Frazer Family
    Participant

I think your hardest time will be convincing people that you actually took those photos, not steal them from a stock website somewhere.

That’s what my sister said when I was putting up our ad! So I put my watermark on the photos and wrote in the ad that the bunnies make good photography subjects. 🙂

Just a question… What do you do for lighting on our your indoor photos of puppies? I was having a hard time getting enough light.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Spring is an exciting time of year on the farm I’m guessing!

I think your hardest time will be convincing people that you actually took those photos, not steal them from a stock website somewhere.

I agree!

I was having a hard time getting enough light.

You just have to use brighter lights I guess. Or strobes or flashes.

Ezra Morley
    Participant

I rely quite extensively on my speedlights for puppy photos, (YN-560 III & IV). I usually just use one on camera, and bounce it off the ceiling for nice even light. It’s amazing how flash brings out the details. It just gives a little “pop” that you don’t get without a flash.

Of course you’ll have a different set of headaches, like reflections, and various other problems, but for me, I would sooner go without lunch than try puppy pictures without flash. 🙂
    Of course when I’m outdoors, I don’t usually need the flash, but indoors it’s a must.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest