Civil War Cavalry

Home Forums Photo Critique Civil War Cavalry

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan Madaris 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

I took this photo at a Civil War reenactment in Tunnel Hill, GA a few days ago. Any thoughts?

1/800
    f/4.8
    ISO 320
    200mm

Attachments:

Logan Lamar
    Participant

Briefly, nice job using black and white! I don’t know if this is the look you were going for, but to make it look even more like it was from that time period, I’d consider using a slower shutter speed and maybe adding some grain to the final image. Study images from that time period and try to see how your image compares to them. Right now, I think it looks a little too good for the tech they had then.

Composition-wise, more sky, less grass. The swords need a bit more room on the top.

I wish my local Civil War Re-enactment was still being held! They were getting some complaints because of the noise I think. Oh well; it would have been neat to try and replicate photos from the early days.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

@loganlamar, thank you! Those are some good ideas.

Josiah Waldner
    Participant

B&W images often benefit by increasing the clarity and contrast to make it “pop” Like @loganlamar said, I would try to add a little grain as well. The composition looks good too, but I think I would straighten it out a little. Maybe they were on a hill, but unless the riders look like they are leaning, I would make the horizon level. Very nice!

Morgan Giesbrecht
    Participant

Great shot!

My thoughts second what @loganlamar and @josiahw have already said. 🙂

I wish we had things like that up here in Canada…

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

Thanks everyone… Here’s the photo with some of the suggested edits.

Attachments:

James Staddon
    Keymaster

That is so neat! It looks like it could have been taken 150 years ago (except it looks like the guys are having way too much fun reenacting 🙂 ). I’m so sorry, but I just haven’t had the time to critique everybody’s pictures here recently, so if you’d like me to go into more depth, you can ask on the webinar tomorrow (https://www.lenspiration.com/photo-critique-with-lenspiration-oct-9/), but for now, the #1 thing I’d say is I think a good final touch to this shot would be to add a little sharpening!

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

@jamesstaddon, thanks! Sharpening this a bit more is a great idea. I’ll do that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest