Civil War Cavalry

Home Forums Photo Critique Civil War Cavalry

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan Madaris 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

I took this photo at a Civil War reenactment in Tunnel Hill, GA a few days ago. Any thoughts?

1/800
    f/4.8
    ISO 320
    200mm

Attachments:

Logan Lamar
    Participant

Briefly, nice job using black and white! I don’t know if this is the look you were going for, but to make it look even more like it was from that time period, I’d consider using a slower shutter speed and maybe adding some grain to the final image. Study images from that time period and try to see how your image compares to them. Right now, I think it looks a little too good for the tech they had then.

Composition-wise, more sky, less grass. The swords need a bit more room on the top.

I wish my local Civil War Re-enactment was still being held! They were getting some complaints because of the noise I think. Oh well; it would have been neat to try and replicate photos from the early days.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

@loganlamar, thank you! Those are some good ideas.

Josiah Waldner
    Participant

B&W images often benefit by increasing the clarity and contrast to make it “pop” Like @loganlamar said, I would try to add a little grain as well. The composition looks good too, but I think I would straighten it out a little. Maybe they were on a hill, but unless the riders look like they are leaning, I would make the horizon level. Very nice!

Morgan Giesbrecht
    Participant

Great shot!

My thoughts second what @loganlamar and @josiahw have already said. 🙂

I wish we had things like that up here in Canada…

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

Thanks everyone… Here’s the photo with some of the suggested edits.

Attachments:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest