FEATURED: Raising the Bar

Home Forums Shoot to Serve Photo Assignments FEATURED: Raising the Bar

This topic contains 27 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Caitlin Compton 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

James Staddon
    Keymaster

ASSIGNMENT DETAILS:
    Purpose: Kirk is a friend of mine who writes for The Dad Blog on Daughters of Decision. He couldn’t find a picture on Lightstock to illustrate what he wanted to write about in his next blog post, so he has asked Lenspiration for some help!
    Request: He needs an action shot that illustrates the idea of “raising the bar” (someone striving to excel at a task or event, seeking to attain excellence in their endeavors). Ideas include:
    a) an athletic event, like a runner crossing the finish line, a track athlete jumping over a high bar or pole vault, etc. (modest attire only, please)
    b) an outdoor activity, like mountain climbing, rappelling, skydiving, etc.
    c) a skilled craftsman, working on a product and producing excellence in their craft.
    d) denying self, following Christ, leaving behind fame, power, wealth for Christ.
    As the photographer, you are free to come up with your own creative ideas for subjects that would illustrate what he has written about in his blog post, a draft of which can be read here.
    Photo Specs: Submit JPG or DNG, at least 1600 pixels longest edge. Edit however you like. No watermarks.
    How to Submit:
    1) Attach JPGs less than 8MB in size in reply to this topic
    2) Upload originals or DNGs to this link (for the critique webinar)
    3) If your photo is chosen, you will need to submit this model release for each recognizable individual in the photo.
    Remuneration: $35 per chosen photo will be awarded to Lenspiration Members. It may be that more than one photo will be chosen!
    Terms: By submitting your photo(s) to Lenspiration, you agree to the terms outlined in the STS Photo Assignment Agreement.
    Deadline: Midnight Saturday, June 8, 2019 (or until this topic is no longer highlighted yellow).

LEARN HOW:
    Get related training and watch how I did this assignment at http://www.lenspiration.com/learn-raising-bar

WATCH CRITIQUE:
    Sign up to watch the critique of the photos submitted for this assignment at http://www.lenspiration.com/photo-critique-with-lenspiration-jun-18

Shoot and/or Submit

James Staddon
    Keymaster

I feel like my photos are a little too literal, by shooting actual bars, but it’s an initial try at least!

Attachments:

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

What an inspiring article!

Phew! This is assignment is really going to test our photography and creativity skills! lol 🙂 I’m presuming, @jamesstaddon, that the model would have to be a male? If so, does it have to be someone old enough to be a Dad or would a young man work? (say 12-14 yrs)

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Agreed, @creative-click-photography! There was no direction given as to gender and age of the subject, but sense it’s for a “Dads blog”, then yes, your best bet at having your photo chosen would be to have an older, male subject.

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Does orientation matter, @jamesstaddon? Vertical or horizontal?

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Ok! Thanks, @jamesstaddon.

Is there going to be any text put onto the image?

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Does orientation matter, @jamesstaddon? Vertical or horizontal?

I don’t think it does! However, since it is going to be used in a blog post, most often those are horizontal.

Is there going to be any text put onto the image?

Kirk will not be adding any text to the image. However, he was not opposed to their being text on the image at all, so feel free to add text of your own if you feel that would help portray the concept as needed.

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

It may be that more than one photo will be chosen!

Just trying to get a little better picture of what we’re going for here, @jamesstaddon…. 🙂 is this supposed to be like a header image, or are the photo[s] potentially going to be sprinkled throughout the blog post?

James Staddon
    Keymaster

No, not a header image; yes, one or more photos sprinkled throughout the blog post.

Esther M.
    Participant

Would it be better if their face wasn’t showing in the picture, @jamesstaddon? For the photographer shoot you had said “don’t include the open eyes of a photographer (since they distract viewers from reading header text first)”
    I’m thinking it could go either way. 🙂

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Ooh, good point. For the “Photographer” assignment that was true. For this assignment, I don’t believe any text will be going in the image, so I don’t believe it matters!

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Here are my submissions!!

Attachments:

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

And since he talks somewhat extensively about the Air Force in the blog post, I thought I’d submit these photos I took just this past year when my brother graduated Air Force BMT at Lackland AFB in TX. 🙂

Attachments:

blessings captured
    Participant

For these pictures I was thinking of ” a skilled craftsman producing excellence in their craft.”

Attachments:

Esther M.
    Participant

Here is my submission for “Raising the Bar”. This was definitely a difficult assignment! Thanks @jamesstaddon for the help!! 😉

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest