Flat Lay

Home Forums Photo Critique Flat Lay

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Caitlin Compton
    Participant

And here is the setup picture!

Attachments:
    Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Sorry if I’m posting this twice… it seems to be playing up on me. 🙂

@bennett-family

I always have a hard time creating set ups like this

I feel the same way! lol 🙂 I wouldn’t say that I’m naturally a super creative person. But, you just have to give it a go and you might surprise yourself!

I actually set these up in a very unorganised way. I decided that I wanted to shoot some flat lay for stock and knew that I wanted the pics to have a Christian theme. So, I had a quick look on Lightstock/Google for a bit of inspiration. Then just looked around my bedroom for things that made sense to include and that matched in colour. And also grabbed a couple of other things from around the house, made a cup of coffee for a prop etc. As far as actually setting up these type of shots, it’s really trial and error, as well as looking at other flat lay images to develop a sense of the way other more experienced people are doing it. I might add one object to the setup, then think that looks weird and remove it or I might really like it and fiddle around with placement. It takes a LOT patience moving things around – just a tad that way, no back that way a tiny bit. 🙂 You want objects with different heights, a simple background and for the objects to be themed and maybe some objects with matching colours, too. According to my research, you want it to be sort of cluttered, but obviously still have the appearance of purposeful placement! And, also try having some things going out of the frame.

To put it more concisely 😉 –
    Decide what your purpose is/the message you hope to portray
    Choose one main subject
    Gather together objects that complement you main object
    Find a place with good natural lighting or setup some lighting
    Arrange everything till it looks pleasing (the longest and most important step!)
    Then, start taking pictures

I totally agree that sometimes it can be hard knowing where to start, but practise makes perfect. Sometimes I might spend awhile trying to make a pleasing setup and it just doesn’t seem to be coming together! That’s when I leave it and try again another day (saves too much frustration. lol!). I think the more you do this type of thing, the more you develop your eye for it. And the easier it becomes to know what to put where.  

Also, you mentioned using natural lighting. Curious to know in more detail what your setup was with that?

As for the lighting, it was very basic. Nothing fancy! I just set it up in my bedroom on the floor near a window that had beautiful natural light coming in. I’ll attach a behind the scenes pic. 🙂

Feels to me like there are a whole lot of shadows, different color casts, and maybe a vignette (?) happening in the last photo (-7013)…it’s just a bit distracting and makes the photo feel more cluttered, in my opinion.

Yep! Would have to agree with you there. You know how you edit a pic and then look at it the next day and wonder what you where doing… 🤦‍♀️

Lydia Bennett
    Keymaster

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing! I’ll definitely come back to this topic for ideas next time I need to do some sort of flat lay shot.

Fun to see your behind the scenes set up, too. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest