focusing in the dark

Home Forums Photography Q&A focusing in the dark

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  James Staddon 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

blessingscaptured
    Participant

Do you have some tips for focusing in the dark? I find it very difficult to be able to tell if I’ve focused properly before taking the picture. For example taking pictures of stars and star trails the screen is black and I can’t tell if it’s focused. Some times it focuses and other times it doesn’t. I do use a tripod so it’s not a camera shake problem.

Austin Vinar
    Participant

What I do is try to point the camera at a bright star. Then I zoom in 10x in Live view and focus till I find it. Obviously, sometimes you have to move the camera around to find the star. It always seems to take a few minutes, but it always works for me.

blessingscaptured
    Participant

I’ll have to try it out tonight. 🙂 Does that bring any foreground into focus as well?

Austin Vinar
    Participant

I rarely add something too close into the foreground because it would be ruined when I stack the photos.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

I distinctly remember the first shot I tried to take in the dark….I’ll see if I can’t bring it up on the webinar tomorrow. It totally wasn’t sharp, like you mentioned, and I too was using a tripod. So after that I looked into how to focus in the dark and haven’t had a problem since! Will share some tips about this tomorrow: https://www.lenspiration.com/photography-qa-with-lenspiration-sep-16/

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Here’s the snippet, @blessingscaptured, from the webinar!

https://www.lenspiration.com/video/focus-dark/

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Guess what, I was taking pictures of stars the other day and it was soooo dark that couldn’t get my AF to work! There was no moon and there was no distant lights and there was no light-ish horizon …. you gotta remember I live in West Virginia. 🙂 I then proceeded to follow my advice and turned on LiveView to zoom in and manually focus on the stars, but …. LiveView was completely black! I suppose I should have tried sky-rocketting my ISO to see if I could have made LiveView work, but I just ended up manually setting the focus ring to the infinity mark. I have yet to see if that method of focus actually worked, but I think it did.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest