How to Best Use Extension Tubes

Home Forums Photography Q&A How to Best Use Extension Tubes

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Logan Lamar 6 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Logan Lamar
    Participant

Hey everyone!
    I recently received a set of extension tubes for my Canon 60D and lenses (I’ve got an 18-200 3.5-5.6, a 50mm 1.8, and a 10-18 4.5-5.6). I’m super glad a third party decided to make a set compatible with EF-S lenses, as I don’t believe the Canon ones are not compatible.
    Does anybody know have any tips on how to best use these with my current lineup of lenses?
    Thanks for your help!

Logan Lamar
    Participant

If anyone has any tips and wants to contribute them that’s fine—but after getting to play with them a bit, I think I understand how they work now (I got an amazing macro shot of one of the only flowers in our house—it’s winter—right now!)

David Frazer
    Participant

You’ve got it – practise makes perfect! Keep going, and you will get some really neat results. And don’t forget to share a few of them here on the forums!

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Huh, I’ve never experimented with extension tubes! What have you learned so far?

Logan Lamar
    Participant

@jamesstaddon, @dfrazer,

Huh, I’ve never experimented with extension tubes! What have you learned so far?

So far—which isn’t very far, I’ve only used them a couple of times…

First thing: Tripod. Use one. It helps. A lot.
    Second thing: You’ll likely be working pretty close to your subject—at least with the lens (50mm 1.8 prime) I was using.
    Third thing: Auto focus doesn’t work very well, so zoom in in live view and manually focus.
    Fourth thing: If you mount too many extension tubes—in essence, creating a super large extension tube (I can make a 68mm extension tube if I use all of the three I received), you might be able to focus on the dust inside of your lens behind the front element. (I can’t see that being very useful…)
    Fifth thing: I think using a short focal length (18mm) will result in a higher magnification than a longer focal length. I’ve heard that these tubes aren’t very effective on telephoto lenses and work best with standard lenses.
    Sixth thing: I don’t have a sixth thing.
    Seventh thing: Hm… nope. Just keep learning, I guess!
    Eighth thing: Use a remote shutter! It helps a ton too!

Here’s a picture I was able to get after some experimentation (and the creation of a mock studio on our dining room table).
    Canon 60D, EF 50mm 1.8 STM, Kenko 20mm(I think? don’t remember exactly?) extension tube,
    f/1.8, 1/5 sec, ISO 160, off camera flash fired manually.

P.S. the picture might look a little soft as I majorly downsized it for the forum.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 20 hours ago by  Logan Lamar.
    Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest