Snow Covered Landscape (ends January 12)

Home Forums Shoot to Serve Photo Assignments Snow Covered Landscape (ends January 12)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Lydia Bennett 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Hey guys, a seasonally fitting request has come in from the IBLP Character Curriculum Team! Here are the details from Esther:

ASSIGNMENT DETAILS:
    • Request: I am looking for a picture of a snow covered landscape to illustrate forgiveness. The caption under the picture will be something like, “When we acknowledge our sins against God, He promises ‘though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow…’ Isaiah 1:18.”
    • Specifics: I can’t choose a picture that would quickly date our curriculum…clothing styles and haircuts date a picture faster than anything else!
    • Orientation: Vertical pictures are preferred.
    • End Use: A small, printed picture that will be published in a children’s character curriculum. See the attached PDF for an example.
    • How to Submit:
    1) Upload originals or DNGs to this link.
    2) Attach JPGs less than 8MB in size in reply to this topic if you would like them to be critiqued.
    • Remuneration: Lenspiration members will be awarded $10/submission if chosen.
    • Terms: If your photo is chosen, you grant IBLP unlimited permission to use and publish your picture under the typical Royalty Free license. There are no restrictions as to how you, the photographer, may use the pictures elsewhere.
    • Deadline: Midnight Saturday, January 12, 2019 (extended from January 3), or until this topic is no longer highlighted yellow.

WATCH CRITIQUE:
    Sign up to watch the critique of the photos submitted for this assignment in January’s live Photo Critique Webinar! http://www.lenspiration.com/photo-critique-with-lenspiration-jan-15

• This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  James Staddon.
    Attachments:

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Here’s something I found in my archives. Hoping it will snow soon so I can actually take some new photos for this assignment…. 🙂

Attachments:

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Here are a couple I’ve pulled from my portfolio. Not quite you’re snow covered landscape, but due to it being summer here it makes this assignment a bit challenging! lol 🙂 Plus, we don’t get much snow were I live, so this amount of snowfall is exciting for us. 🙂

Attachments:

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Abby
    Participant

We got alot of snow here over the Christmas holidays.
    These are a few pictures i took around our neighbourhood.
    All the trees look so beautiful covered in snow!

Attachments:

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Well, no white Christmas for us this year, so here are a few from my archives, though they’re not exactly landscapes.

Attachments:

Morgan Giesbrecht
    Participant

Hopefully this uploads correctly…

No white Christmas up here in Canada either; so here are a few I pulled from my archives of two winters ago. 🙂

Attachments:

Morgan Giesbrecht
    Participant

Well, the other three say the files are too big so I’ll leave it at two 🙂

Dan Cope
    Participant

Opportunities for snowy landscapes have been few and far between this winter here in WV! Here’s a few from the archives taken on a memorably snowy morning a few years ago. Perhaps the same day that you took yours, James?!

Attachments:

Esther

It’s amazing how much a snow picture is enhanced by a little sun and blue sky.

Esther

I just got some feedback from the editors who said, “I think what we want is a picture where the snow is clean and white, without fences or trees showing through very much.” I see where they are coming from since it is an illustration the point that our sins are washed white as snow. Anyone have more of a field or hillside covered in undisturbed snow?

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Esther.
    Attachments:

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Ok! Thank you @estherstaddon! The deadline is now extended to January 12.

I see how that after they have seen our submissions, they would bring up the idea of “undisturbed” snow. That makes sense. “White as snow” is a different concept than “snow”.

Eliana Franzenburg
    Participant

It finally snowed here! I was able to grab these just before it got dark out.

P.S. I know it’s a little late but I will have probably one or two more in about an hour.

Attachments:

Eliana Franzenburg
    Participant

Here are the last few I took.

Attachments:

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Well, it doesn’t look like any photos similar to what Esther and the curriculum team were looking for have been submitted….BUT I think with a little work in Lightroom and Photoshop I could get some of @elianafranzenburg‘s photos to work. Let’s see! I’ll edit them tonight on the webinar to show you how I’d process them for this assignment. Webinar details are at https://www.lenspiration.com/photo-critique-with-lenspiration-jan-15/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest