Springtime Hostas

Home Forums Photo Critique Springtime Hostas

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lydia Bennett 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

The other day, I was sorting through pictures I took last spring. Can’t quite decide whether or not I like this photo of hostas, and I’m not sure exactly what it is that’s keeping me from liking it, so I thought it would be interesting to get opinions and perspectives from you all. 🙂

I did try a few crops, the second photo is one that I think I might like.

Attachments:

James Staddon
    Keymaster

I really like the bright, airy feeling and clean background. My initial thought was that there wasn’t a “finished” feeling, like, because the tops of the hostas are cut off (at least the shorter stock there in the center). And perhaps that’s why you like the closer crop, because there’s no longer the feeling of it being “almost” cropped….it’s now an intentional. Also, the main lines are leading from bottom right to top left, and there’s not one single flower that really pops out to arrest the eye from traveling out of the frame quickly.

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Yes! That’s it! You just accurately articulated what I liked (“bright, airy feeling and clean background”) and what I didn’t like (“there’s not one single flower that really pops out to arrest the eye from traveling out of the frame quickly”). Thank you.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Had fun revisiting your pictures on the webinar last night. 🙂 If you’d like to watch it again, here’s the link to the replay: https://www.lenspiration.com/video/webinar031219/

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

It was super helpful to hear you delving deeper into really thinking through this photo and talking about the elements that attract the eye & why they do so. Thanks again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest