Using Adobe camera Raw

Home Forums Photography Q&A Using Adobe camera Raw

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ezra Morley 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

blessings captured
    Participant

I’m trying to figure out how to open up a photo in Adobe camera RAW. I have Photoshop elements 6, and from what I’ve read Camera RAW comes with it. Is that correct? On the list of file types that it can open it has my raw type (NEF). But when I go to open a raw file it says it can’t open it because it is the wrong type of file. Do I have some setting wrong?
    Thank you for anyone’s help and advise!

James Staddon
    Keymaster

In Elements go to Help -> About Plugins and choose Camera Raw. Can you tell us which version of camera Raw it says you are using?

blessings captured
    Participant

When I click on camera Raw in the help it says that’s it version 4.2.

Ezra Morley

According to this page, you need Camera Raw version 9.7 to support NEF files from a Nikon D3400.

Unfortunately, PS Elements 6 is so old that I very seriously doubt whether it will allow you to update to ACR 9.7… 🙁 I think your best option is either to download Adobe DNG converter and convert your NEF files to DNG, then use ACR to edit them, or to use the RAW conversion software that came with your camera. I don’t remember what Nikon’s software is called, something like “Capture NX”. (See here for download details if you don’t have the CD that came with the camera…)

blessings captured
    Participant

I know it (the help page) says that I have to have version 9.7, but what I don’t understand is why my program says that I can open NEF files.

I do have the Nikon raw software. But it’s limited and I was wanting to stay inside PS for all my editing.

Attachments:

Ezra Morley

but what I don’t understand is why my program says that I can open NEF files.

.NEF is Nikon’s RAW file format that they use for all of their DSLR cameras. A .NEF file from an older camera would work with your software. The software makers have to continuously update their software with the latest camera versions, that’s why you have to update to use it with newer cameras, like the D3400.

Ezra Morley

I do have the Nikon raw software. But it’s limited and I was wanting to stay inside PS for all my editing.

If that is the case, then your best option is to use Adobe’s free DNG converter to convert your NEF files to DNG, then edit in ACR.

blessings captured
    Participant

Thank you! I downloaded the converter and it was compatible with Elements 6! Now I have to learn all about using ACR. 🙂 Would it be “safe” to convert all my Raw files to DNG? Is DNG readable by most programs? Is all the information retained? What should I set my perferences on the converter to?

Ezra Morley

Yes, DNG is a much more universal format than NEF. I’m sure you’ll be safe to convert your files to DNG. I don’t use the converter myself, so I don’t know what all settings there are, but this page should help you figure it out: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Definitely choose lossless compression, not lossy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest