Accurately Shooting the Colour Red

Home Forums Photography Q&A Accurately Shooting the Colour Red

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Morgan Giesbrecht 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Morgan Giesbrecht
    Participant

In the two years I’ve spent doing photography, I have yet to consistently shoot an accurate representation of the colour red. I find myself either with a washed out version, an orange/pink version, or a dark burgundy colour. On occasion though, I do get an accurate rendering of the colour.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice to share on how they achieve accurately consistent shades of red in their pictures. ๐Ÿ™‚

David Frazer
    Participant

There could be a couple of possible reasons for that. The most likely problem is the screen you are using to view the photos. Have you tried viewing the same photos on various screens? The more different screens you can try the better, even if they are only cell phone screens. If they all look pretty similar, and equally bad, it could be the camera. Some older digital cameras have issues with certain colours. Or it could be a white balance issue. If you set the camera to a pre-set white balance (cloudy or tungsten, for example) do you still have the same issue?

Of course, maybe it isn’t the screen or the camera. Perhaps you are particularly sensitive to the exact colour of red that you like. In that case it is not a bad thing, but a good thing! It means that you see things that others might overlook, and therefore you have an advantage. Just as an example, the red stripes on the American flag are not the same colour as the red stripes on the Canadian flag. The American flag’s stripes are slightly more burgundy, while Canadian flag is a truer red, and a nicer one in my opinion. (I may be biased.)

I find the picture of the tulips you put on this post are a nice, deep, realistic colour of red for tulips. Do you find they are?

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

I find the picture of the tulips you put on this post are a nice, deep, realistic colour of red for tulips. Do you find they are?

I agree. Those tulips look like a true red color to me as well.

The American flagโ€™s stripes are slightly more burgundy, while Canadian flag is a truer red, and a nicer one in my opinion. (I may be biased.)

Ooh boy, I thought about challenging you on that claim, but I think I should avoid getting into an International feud here. ๐Ÿ˜‰ My sister-in-law is from Quebec, though, so she’d probably agree with you. ๐Ÿ˜

Jinny Schober
    Participant

The color red is difficult to shoot! I end up editing it to make the color as close to the original as possible. ๐Ÿ™‚

Same @bennett-family, I could easily get in a feud over flags! I love my USA. ๐Ÿ˜‰ But I totally understand why you would be biased as well @dfrazer ๐Ÿ™‚

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

I don’t know. The red in the Australian flag is pretty nice! lol ๐Ÿ˜€

John M.
    Participant

But hey!! Has anyone ever noticed how nice the red is in the Dixie flag? ๐Ÿ˜‰ I agree with @dfrazer, it could be your screen.

Morgan Giesbrecht
    Participant

@dfrazer,

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I have tried looking at different screens, but the โ€œbad redsโ€ all look equally bad and the โ€œgood redsโ€ look equally good. As it turns out, my mom (who used the camera before me) mentioned that she also had difficulty with reds…so maybe it is a camera issue? White balance settings make some difference depending on lighting. I donโ€™t care much for the red colour with artificial lighting; reds under natural lighting work better for me. (That is likely due to my sensitivity to white light and preference to yellow light). You might be right; I may just be a picky red photographer! ๐Ÿ™‚ I am aware of the Canadian/American flag colour difference…though, despite my Canadian roots, I do like the American flag colour better! The Canadian red (which is mostly orangey red on all the faded flags I see around here, haha!) just doesn’t sit as well with me…. Yes, I was happy with the colour of the red of the tulips in that photo; it was deep enough without being dull.

Morgan Giesbrecht
    Participant

@bennett-family,

Thanks for the comment, Lydia! Haha, international feuds…well, Iโ€™m with you on the colour idea, despite being from the Canadian West. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Morgan Giesbrecht
    Participant

@jinnyschober,

Iโ€™m glad Iโ€™m not the only one then! I was only introduced to editing a month and a half ago; before that, I had to do straight out of camera shots. So Iโ€™m grateful for the opportunity of editing! ๐Ÿ™‚

Morgan Giesbrecht
    Participant

@creative-click-photography,

Yes, it is…reminds me of Canadaโ€™s colour. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Morgan Giesbrecht
    Participant

@hayhand02,

Looks like a cross between the American red and the Canadian red, your Dixie flag does! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jinny Schober
    Participant

@morganwriter1gmail-com editing can be a life saver!
    All of those flags are nice, but to me, you can’t beat the Stars ‘n’ Stripes!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

James Staddon
    Keymaster

@morganwriter1gmail-com, it’s most likely the quality of your camera sensor plus your exposure. There are ways to make the most of the problem when you understand some things about “color channels”. This article explains what I mean: http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/red-flowers-red-blobs.html

Morgan Giesbrecht
    Participant

@jamesstaddon,
    Thanks so much for the information; Iโ€™m going to go and do some reading on that! ๐Ÿ™‚

Daniel Hancock
    Participant

I find desaturating red (most software allow you to adjust one color at a time, including lightroom) often helps it look more reasonable. Especially for Ohio State Red. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest