Airplane overhead

Home Forums Photo Critique Airplane overhead

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lydia Bennett

I’m doing photography at a camp this week, and there’s an airport of some sort nearby, so I’ve seen planes flying over a few times each day. I grabbed this photo yesterday… what do you think?

Nikon D3100
    Focal length: 175mm | ISO: 100 | Aperture: f/5.3 | Shutterspeed: 1/160

Attachments:
    Ryan Madaris
    Participant

Cool! The only thing I really see is that the photo is overexposed. I’d use a shutter speed of 1/200 or 1/250 next time. I don’t think you’ll be able to rescue those highlights in post-production unless you shot the photo in RAW. Nice composition! I like the open space in this photo.

Jinny Schober
    Participant

Great job!! I really like it! It could possibly be slightly overexposed, but in this case, I think it is fine!
    Something I saw that was a little distracting from the plane, was that on the top left corner, it seemed to be slightly darker than the rest of the photo. Also, it wouldn’t hurt for the airplane to fill more of the photo, but if that would decrease the quality of the photo, by all means, leave it the way it is! 🙂 Great job! Airplanes are a fun challenge to take pics of!

Lydia Bennett

@rmadaris & @jinnyschober

Yes, I realize it is over-exposed – I was taking other pictures and literally just pointed my camera, quick adjusted shutterspeed and snapped the photo. But I thought it might be fine in this case – it looks interesting to me to just have the airplane in the whiteness…

Jinny, thanks for mentioning that gray in the corner. Here’s a cropped photo with a slight white vignette to completely white out the edges so it matches the rest of the photo. Or… does it look better with the vignette going the other way, as in the second photo here?

Attachments:
    Jinny Schober
    Participant

Actually, I’m more of a fan of the second one, the one w/ the dark vignette. I like the cropped one better, but it might look even better if you moved the plane a little further down on the pic, w/o making it look to crowded (If that is possible, and I’m sorry if I am being too nitpicky 🙂 ).

Jinny Schober
    Participant

And that would be just a tad further down on the pic. 🙂

Lydia Bennett

No problem, @jinnyschober!

“Take 3” 🙂

Attachments:
    Jinny Schober
    Participant

Very, Very nice!! I like taking plane pics! And having them turn out is AMAZING! 🙂 Great job!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest