Brown Grass on an Autumn Day

Home Forums Photo Critique Brown Grass on an Autumn Day

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Caitlin Compton 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Hi all! Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this image that I took last year. 🙂 Composition, post processing, things they think would be better to do next time etc.

Purpose Behind the Shot
    I was taking this shot for some cards that I was getting professionally printed to sell at a local market. I live in a very touristy area, so the mountain range in the background (the Grampians) is the popular destination that everyone is coming to see. I was trying to get a creative perspective and different outlook on the mountains than what the average person would get with their quick snap. As I’m sure every tourist goes home with a bunch of snaps of the Grampians. 😀 People have told me they like the picture (and I do too!), but at the same time I feel as if there’s something not quite right about it. I broke a lot of the rules with this one – distracting background, not one main/clear subject, a bit of a strange effect (with the blurry grasses) and quite a vibrant green colour in the middle (which isn’t meant to be a main focus). Obviously it’s ok to break the rules sometimes as they’re more guidelines to follow. But, have I broken too many compositional/photography rules? What are your thoughts on this shot? 😀 Looking forward to hearing some critique! 🙂

Settings

Aperture – f/5.6
    ISO – 100
    Shutter Speed – 1/125
    Focal Length – 50mm
    Lens – Tamron 17-50mm
    Camera Body – Canon 60D

Attachments:

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Great questions! I’ll try to tackle ’em tonight on the webinar! https://www.lenspiration.com/photo-critique-with-lenspiration-jan-15/

Joshua Ong
    Participant

Hi @creative-click-photography, those are great pictures (though I think the first one has a better exposure). The mountains form an appropriate backdrop to the subject.

I was curious about the touristy location so I googled up the Grampian mountains. I had to distinguish between the Scottish Highlands bearing the same name and the mountains in northwest Victoria. To my discovery the Grampians are known among photographers for their picturesque scenery. You must be getting some pretty amazing pictures over there especially during the golden hour. 🙂

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Hey @creative-click-photography, I hope you found what you were looking for on the webinar last night in answer to your questions? https://www.lenspiration.com/video/webinar011519/ Feel free to continue the discussion here!

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

@joshua_ong

Thanks! The second picture is actually the unprocessed version of the first one – I forgot to say that! 🙂

Yes, the mountains are often included as the backdrop in a lot of my images! God has really blessed us as we live in a very beautiful, picturesque place.

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

@jamesstaddon, thanks for the critique the other day! I think my questions are basically answered. I really just wanted to know if this was a good picture or not. If I was looking at it through biased eyes, or if it just looked like a distracting, snapshot to most people. Hearing your critique helped to answer that. 🙂 Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest