Buying a Camera From eBay?

Home Forums Photography Q&A Buying a Camera From eBay?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan Madaris 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

Currently I’m trying to buy a camera of my own, and I’m looking at eBay for a good quality camera that’s not as expensive as a brand-new one. My steps are make sure the shutter count is low, make sure the seller has excellent reviews, and make sure the seller has photos of the exact camera that they’re selling.

Does anyone have any experience on this topic?

Jinny Schober
    Participant

I never bought a camera from ebay, but my dad got and helped pay for a lens from there. He thought it was brand new, but even if it wasn’t, it was in excellent condition and I have no complaints at all. But be careful, because some things on ebay are scams, and you can pay your money and not get your product. I think this happened to my dad.

Dan Cope
    Participant

Make sure the seller has a good return policy in case you’re not satisfied. eBay is pretty good about fighting for you if the item is not as described. But there’s always a risk. Keep in mind that pictures can be deceiving even if they are of the exact product you’re purchasing. Several years ago I purchased a lens from an eBay seller and although it was in good condition it wasn’t quite as good as what I was expecting from the description and pictures. If I were you I would keep an eye on what is available used from Adorama. They are a reputable company and they inspect and categorize all of their used equipment so you know just what you’re getting. There are no doubt other places such as B&H Photo that would have a similar reputation but I have personally used Adorama as a source for both used and refurbished products and have been completely satisfied!

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

@jinnyschober, thank you! I’ll definitely be careful. I look at the seller’s ratings and make sure they have at least 95% positive reviews.
    @dan-cope, thanks! I’ve looked at B&H and unfortunately they don’t seem to have what I’m looking for currently. As for Adorama, I’m watching a Nikon D7000 that is available there. It’s in my price range, and is a great camera.

Dan Cope
    Participant

Ah yes I think you’d like the D7000. I have a D7100 and the only reason I would want to upgrade would be to go full frame. Other than that the D7100 is all the camera I will ever want or need!

John M.
    Participant

I agree with @dan-cope, The D7000 is a great camera!! I own a D7100 as well and have been satisfied with it completely, other than it’s size and weight.

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

@dan-cope, @hayhand02, yes, I think the Nikon D7000 will be a great camera for me. Does the environmental sealing work well on it?

John M.
    Participant

I’ve taken mine out in the rain and snow and had no problems. But, I DON’T have a weather sealed lenses, so it’s not totally waterproof. Do you have a weather sealed lenses? Also, I use Camera Decision all the time to compare different cameras.

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

@hayhand02, ok, thanks! If I get a weather sealed camera, I’ll try not to take it out in the elements very often, though, to try to preserve its life. I use Camera Decision a lot as well! It’s been a great help.

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

Thank you for the insight, everyone! I’m purchasing a Nikon D7000 from eBay. It has about 27,000 shutter actuations.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Sweet @rmadaris! At 150K actuations as it’s expected life span, you should be able to shoot for a while! 🙂

http://www.instantfundas.com/2012/12/what-is-shutter-life-expectancy-of-dslr.html

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

@jamesstaddon, I received it on Monday, and love it so far!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest