August 4, 2023 at 12:02 pm #80731
Welcome! This is the place for you to post photos for the August 2023 photo assignment, participate in discussion with your fellow photographers, and ask questions to Lenspiration Team Members!
Click here to read the current Assignment Details, learn how to shoot the assignment, submit your high-resolution photos, and register for the next webinar!August 7, 2023 at 1:36 pm #80883James StaddonKeymaster
And here are my favorite photos from my short photoshoots!
August 22, 2023 at 3:14 pm #81078August 22, 2023 at 10:52 pm #81105Sarah SmithParticipantAugust 23, 2023 at 10:58 am #81112James StaddonKeymaster
- This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by James Staddon.
Creative ideas!August 23, 2023 at 11:38 am #81113August 23, 2023 at 12:09 pm #81118
@lenspirationlydia I love your pictures! How did you get your balloons and background so vibrant? That was one struggle I was having. Was it the time of day? I was trying to get more of a golden hour light when it wasn’t as harsh. Or was it your balloons?
-HannahAugust 23, 2023 at 12:46 pm #81124
Great question, @blessingscaptured! I do think it was time of day/lighting, and then popping up vibrance in editing. I took them around 10am.
I’m pretty sure the main components that helped were:
– Blue sky (not too many clouds, and not golden hour or sunrise/set)
– The sun being decently high in the sky actually gave a bit of backlight to the balloons. I was just realizing that golden hour light would be more sidelight if I’m shooting from the ground towards the sky, whereas you’d be getting a little more back/side light earlier in the day, shooting from that perspective. The harsh lighting is almost a good thing in this setting, I guess!
– I had to decrease the exposure a bit in post-processing. I discovered I overexposed too much in camera, which made the colors look really strange, so pulled back on exposure in editing. I’ve attached a screenshot with before/after and panel with my edits, for an example.
– Pulled up vibrance a lot higher than I normally would. I really edited these photos more to an extreme than I do for most photos than I take, but it really worked for this scenario 🙂August 23, 2023 at 1:42 pm #81128
Thank you @lenspirationlydia! That was very helpful. If I get a chance I’ll have to try again. And it will be easier since I won’t have to try to fit it in at golden hour. 🙂August 23, 2023 at 3:01 pm #81129August 24, 2023 at 10:57 am #81136
Here are my photos for this assignment. This was a fun assignment to do, but ended up being one of the most challenging assignments I have done.🙂 My plan was to blow as many balloons as I could into the sky with a blower and then take pictures of them as they came down, but it didn’t turn out so well! As soon as we dumped the balloons out, a gust of wind blew them all across the yard and half of them popped. So instead I took pictures of the remaining balloons as my brothers threw them up in the air. It was hard getting a good shot by randomly throwing the balloons up into the air, so I took a lot of pictures. The balloons kept popping as we used them and by the time we were finished there were only three left! I’m glad at least dome of the pictures worked out!August 24, 2023 at 10:59 am #81142August 24, 2023 at 1:18 pm #81150Warrior PrincessParticipant
@samuelwest Those are beautiful photos!!! I love the ones that show the grass in the foreground so much.August 25, 2023 at 10:50 am #81158David TremainParticipant
NEWBIE Question: How do you change the dpi in Lightroom Classic? All the DNGs I were able to export are at 96 dpi instead of 240 and I need the magic word (sequence) to make that happen.
Very unhappy with all my shots, but this is about learning, right?
TIAAugust 25, 2023 at 1:05 pm #81187
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.