FEATURED: Looking Up (ends December 8)

Home Forums Shoot to Serve Photo Assignments FEATURED: Looking Up (ends December 8)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lydia Bennett 2 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

James Staddon
    Keymaster

GET THE ASSIGNMENT DETAILS:

Purpose: Family Conferences is requesting a photo to backdrop a PowerPoint of the hymn, More Like the Master, that will be presented on the big screen at their annual Conferences.
    Request: A photo that dramatically illustrates the idea of “looking up”, as from earth to heaven, preferably in a natural setting.
    Specifics: Get down low! Be creative! Ever tried to capture what the world looks like from a mouse’s perspective? 🙂 Incorporating strong leading lines (of grass, trees, flowers, corn stocks, etc.) pointing upward from multiple sides of the image will help increase the emotional impact!
    Orientation: Horizontal. Will be cropped down to almost a square ratio.
    Photo Specs: Shoot in RAW, preferably, or Large JPG. Edit however you like.
    How to Submit:
    1) Upload originals or DNGs to this link.
    2) Attach JPGs less than 8MB in size in reply to this topic if you would like them to be critiqued.
    Remuneration: Anyone in “The Click” is eligible to receive $20 per chosen submission.
    Terms: If your photo is chosen, you grant IBLP (the parent organization of Family Conferences) unlimited permission to use and publish your picture under the typical Royalty Free license. There are no restrictions for how you may use the picture for other purposes.
    Deadline: Midnight Saturday, December 8, 2018 (or until this topic is no longer highlighted as yellow).

LEARN HOW:
    A video about how I shot this assignment, along with other related training, are available at https://www.lenspiration.com/2018/11/new-perspective/

WATCH CRITIQUE:
    Sign up to watch the photos submitted for this assignment get critiqued in December’s live Photo Critique Webinar! https://www.lenspiration.com/photo-critique-with-lenspiration-dec-11/

Shoot and/or Submit

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Here’s my submission!

Attachments:

Eliana Franzenburg
    Participant

@jamesstaddon Do you have any specific types of upward looking photos such as buildings, trees (all the trees where I live don’t have leaves anymore) or just the sky with cool clouds, etc?

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

@jamesstaddon – What a lovely hymn! I don’t believe I’ve heard that one before. Would a picture of a person looking/pointing/reaching upward work? Or something more simple because of the text that will be overlaying the image?

James Staddon
    Keymaster

@elianafranzenburg, try using trees even without leaves! Not buildings. I think there needs to be more than just clouds. Something in the foreground pointing upward. Perhaps pine trees? Even tall grass in a field might work.

@creative-click-photography, yes! Having a person looking upward would work. Maybe from the back or side? Maybe not pointing. Rather, looking or reaching. A not-intentional-looking reaching.

Thank you, photographers!!

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Thanks, @jamesstaddon.

A not-intentional-looking reaching.

Hmm… what do you mean by that? 🙂 Do you mean not really posed looking? I’ve attached a photo – would you class this as intentional reaching?

Attachments:

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Wow, what beautiful lighting! Hmm, I guess reaching isn’t really the word I was looking for….more like a humble, lifting of the hands perhaps (instead of the whole arm). Like, instead of an erect back with worshipfully outstretched arms, I’m thinking a posture that speaks “I am so incapable of being like you”, without strength, almost afraid to look up.

Kinda like this or this, though that last example is from the wrong angle, and should be looking up more.

Also, be sure to leave plenty of space to one side of the subject (and even around the subject if you don’t mind) so I can crop in post to make the text fit around the subject.

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

@jamesstaddon

I’m thinking a posture that speaks “I am so incapable of being like you”, without strength, almost afraid to look up.

That sounds great. I’ll give it a shot!

Thanks for those examples. That reminds me of a photo I’ve already taken, though I’ll probably take some more that are specifically for this assignment. Would that photo possibly work?

Also, be sure to leave plenty of space to one side of the subject

So, do you want the person to be either on one of the left or right thirds, not in the middle?

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Oh, that’s a great picture! It could definitely work if there are no other submissions. If you do re-shoot, I would have the subject looking up more and perhaps less of a contrasty background (so text overlays well in the negative space). Yes, the person off to either the left or right third and not in the middle. Thanks @creative-click-photography!

Logan Lamar
    Participant

Okay, not a person, but a looking up shot.
    I think it might work if you don’t want any people in the picture.

@jamesstaddon, I uploaded the .CR2 file and a original size JPEG of my edit. I use Luminar, so no DNGs from me, unfortunately.
    The one uploaded here is downsized and watermarked.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Logan Lamar.
    Attachments:

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Thank you @loganlamar! It’s really nice to have the .CR2 file for actual experimenting during the webinar!

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Thanks, @jamesstaddon!

If you do re-shoot…

I plan to! I’ll see what I can come up with. 🙂

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Here are some submissions! I didn’t crop any of the photos to allow for more flexibility 🙂

Attachments:

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

I’m still planning to take others, but in case I run out of time I’m submitting these ones! 🙂

I know that pic #2 wasn’t quite what you had in mind, but looking back over my portfolio that was the only other picture that really has the feel of beseeching God for strength/I can’t do this alone. Not sure if it’ll work though!

Picture #3 – I had a lot of lens flare in this shot (possibly because of some unwanted smudges on my lens!), so I did the best I could to edit it out, but I was disappointed with how it turned out. Maybe it was more of Photoshop job than a Lightroom one.

Attachments:

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Wow, thank you everyone for taking the time to brainstorm and shoot for this request! When the winner is chosen, it will be announced here (with a debut announcement hopefully tonight). Can’t wait to talk about all these submissions tonight on the webinar! You can register for it here: https://www.lenspiration.com/photo-critique-with-lenspiration-dec-11/

Webinar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest