Starry Wonder

Home Forums Photo Critique Starry Wonder

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Hey all!

Trying my hand at astrophotography has been on my bucket list for… way too long! So the other night, after reading a very comprehensive guide here on Lenspiration, I finally gave it ago. My first attempt didn’t turn out quite how I was hoping, but hopefully with a bit more practise I’ll get a better result. (more in focus, less noise and a better composition! 😉 ) The hardest thing I found was trying to get it to focus. I tried a number of different methods – auto focus, manual focus, focusing on a beam from a flashlight, using Live View and zooming in to 10x on a star and manually focusing on it and zooming lens to infinity! But, still didn’t manage to nail it (think I need a bit more practise. lol) How do you folks go about getting your astrophotgraphy shots in focus? I’m thinking that I may need to get the camera setup and focused before nightfall?

I’ll attach the pic that I got. I would love to hear your tips, critique, and anything you’ve learnt while shooting astrophotography!

Attachments:
    Ezra Morley

I’d say that’s pretty good for a first attempt! I won’t show you my first tries at astrophotography… 🙂

For focusing I rely on mostly trial-and-error. I put up my ISO really high, and take several shorter test shots till I get it focused, then go back to the settings I need for the “real” photo.

Caitlin Compton
    Participant

Thanks, @buddingphotographer!

I put up my ISO really high, and take several shorter test shots till I get it focused, then go back to the settings I need for the “real” photo.

Ok! I tried that too, but still struggled to get it in focus. Hopefully I’ll have more success after a few more attempts!

Lydia Bennett
    Keymaster

Amazing! Love how you included the house in the bottom of the photo. Makes it unique. Nice job on the framing as well.

Joshua Ong
    Participant

…And the surrounding branches help add interest to the starry scene.

Looks like the picture was taken in the country. Rural settings provide excellent places for starry shots without the interference of city lights (even street lamps).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest