Sunrise

Home Forums Photo Critique Sunrise

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    James Staddon
    Keymaster

I think it’s so fun, seeing everybody’s different editing styles! 🙂

Ezra Morley

@buddingphotographer thanks for the tips:) I’ll have to experiment with different settings on my camera so that photos aren’t underexposed… I’m still learning, so everything is trial and error for me!

You’re very welcome!

The likely reason that the photo was underexposed is that your camera was pointed straight into a brilliant light source. The light meter reacted violently, and shoved the exposure down to compensate. 🙂 As @jamesstaddon mentioned, this was actually not a bad thing, because the highlights were preserved! It’s much easier to recover detail from shadows than from highlights.

@joshua_ong
    , I really like your edit. It’s very similar to mine, but the color balance seems a little more “natural” on yours. (Of course, since I didn’t see the scene myself, it’s hard to know exactly what “natural” is. 🙂

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Hi @alightforhim, just so you know, I brought up your picture on the webinar last night, and showed how I edited it and why I made the edits I did. The link to the replay is here: https://www.lenspiration.com/video/webinar60/

Cadence Church
    Participant

@buddingphotographer that’s true… My mom took a photo the last time that we were at the beach (it was with her iPhone) with the sun was towards the right of the photo and it made the picture look a lot more realistic…of course, an iPhone camera is NOT the same as a DSLR, but your comment made me remember the way the sun was positioned and decide that I’ll try that next time with my camera, and see if it makes the any photo better. Also, your photo edit and @joshua_ong’s photo edit were both very close to the actual sunrise 🙂

@jamesstaddon
    thanks for that link to the video. I did a quick edit and tried to replicate your photo and this is how it turned out. I feel like it’s kinda similar aside from the fact that my corners are a tad darker than yours. I tried lightning them up a bit, but it wasn’t exactly working. unfortunately. Anyway, here it is 🙂

Attachments:
    James Staddon
    Keymaster

Nice, @alightforhim. It certainly has more drama than it did before!

Cadence Church
    Participant

@jamesstaddon thanks! I think so too 🙂

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

@alightforhim

It’s been fun tracking along with this conversation here! Pretty sunrise at a pretty spot! And it’s been neat seeing the different ways different folks edited it!

You mentioned,

…the sun was towards the right of the photo and it made the picture look a lot more realistic…your comment made me remember the way the sun was positioned and decide that I’ll try that next time with my camera, and see if it makes the any photo better.

Was just curious to know….do you shoot in Manual? It’s a learning process, but if you get to know Manual Mode (or even the semi-manual modes), you could still compose the picture however you artistically you want with the sun positioned anywhere in the photo AND expose it however bright you want it to be rather than whatever the camera determines to be the correct exposure! 🙂

Cadence Church
    Participant

@bennett-family yes it has 🙂

I’ve tried to shoot in manual several times, but most of the photos never turn out super great because I don’t know the ‘system’ (for-lack-of-a-better- word) super well. Sometimes I just go outside and randomly take pictures of random things to experiment, and I have learned things a lot of things by doing that- but for the most part, I shoot in aperture priority mode 🙂 But I do want to learn manual mode better, because I do think that it will come in handy someday!

Ezra Morley

I’ve tried to shoot in manual several times, but most of the photos never turn out super great because I don’t know the ‘system’

Have you investigated why they don’t turn out well? That’s how you learn! 🙂 Next time a manual exposure doesn’t work well, switch to one of the “auto” modes and take a picture, and then compare the settings between the two; that should enlighten you a little bit.

If you can get the “exposure triangle” down, you’ll be well on your way to navigating manual comfortably. If you are interested in learning more, I have a homework assignment to suggest for you. 🙂 Read this thread, then take your camera out and experiment a little to get some hands-on experience with what we’re talking about here.

If you really want to go in-depth, the Foundations of Photography course will teach all this stuff with illustrations and stuff. 🙂

Feel free to start a new thread if you have specific questions about Manual mode, and I’m sure some of the photographers around here will be happy to help you out!

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Yes, @alightforhim, don’t give up experimenting with it! Ezra gave some great tips there.

I had just wanted to put it out there, that you don’t necessarily have to adjust your composition in order to get the picture to be properly exposed. Keep up the good work! 🙂

Cadence Church
    Participant

@bennett-family thanks, I will 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest