What is this?

Home Forums Photography Q&A What is this?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lydia Bennett 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

I was cleaning out my camera bag the other day and came across this little thing in a small plastic bag, and I have no clue what it is! Can anyone identify it? 🙂

Attachments:

Ezra Morley

Boy, you’ve got me stumped! 🙂 It’s not off of the USB cord that usually comes with your camera, is it?

Something like this….

http://www.getyourmemory.co.uk/ebaynew/cables/500-usb-camera-cable.jpg

Jinny Schober
    Participant

I have one exactly like that that came with my camera. I think @buddingphotographer is right. At least my dad said it was that.

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

I think you’re right, @buddingphotographer and @jinnyschober. It does seem to fit around my little cord. What’s it for?

Attachments:

Ezra Morley

Here’s what Wikipedia has to say about it:

A ferrite bead or ferrite choke is a passive electric component that suppresses high frequency noise in electronic circuits. It is a specific type of electronic choke. Ferrite beads employ high frequency current dissipation in a ferrite ceramic to build high frequency noise suppression devices. Ferrite beads may also be called blocks, cores, rings, EMI filters, or chokes.

See this answer at SuperUser for a slightly more readable answer. 🙂

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Thanks @buddingphotographer! To be quite honest, I think I’m going to have to read that through several more times before I actually get exactly what it’s saying! 😀 But I do appreciate you solving my little mystery.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Lydia Bennett.

Logan Lamar
    Participant

YES! @buddingphotographer is right, that IS a ferrite choke. I actually just got my amateur radio license, and we learned about those in class.

As that looks a lot like an audio cable (maybe a flash cable?)…
    I believe—skimming through my textbook here—you’d want to use that if for some reason your signal in the cable was getting interfered with from radio waves. I think you’d probably also want to use it if your cable was emitting something that was getting into a licensed radio operator’s system. I think it’s probably to help ensure the FCC part 15 laws are kept—you know, the fine print in the back of your camera manual “this device must not cause interference, and must accept any interference received”.

I think that’s what it’s for. Maybe the manufacturer had to put it in your kit for some government regulation the consumer never gets to hear about (like the one that used to limit your videos to 29 min 59 sec or 4 GBs).

Just my two cents, and my completely uncertain thoughts on why you might have one in there.

Lydia Bennett
    Participant

Thanks @loganlamar for that info. Very interesting! I haven’t ever even used that cord.

Congrats on getting your amateur radio license! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Create an Account!

Pin It on Pinterest