Cotton Field

Home Forums Photo Critique Cotton Field

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dara Cochran 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Dara Cochran
    Participant

I Saw this cotton field the other day and thought I’d try and get a photo of it. Your thoughts would be very very much appreciated!! thanks 🙂

Camera: Nikon D3200
    Lens:50mm
    ISO :100
    Shutter Speed: 1/2500

Attachments:

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

@dara__cochran, the horizon is just very slightly off. The only other thing that stands out to me is the cotton pod above the farmhouse.
    Great job taking this photo!

John M.
    Participant

Great picture idea @dara__cochran! I like how the barn (or is that a house?) and silo are in the background, and on the rule of thirds. That makes the picture of more interest. I would suggest having the cotton in focus, and the barn and silo blurred. What aperture did you use? Find an aperture where enough cotton is in focus, but the background is a nice bokeh. I also noticed that there was some cotton plants obstructing the view of the barn and silo. I found this a little distracting. I think you used a nice exposure overall for this pic. I did find it funny that y’all still have cotton in the fields this time of year… 🙂

Dara Cochran
    Participant

Thank you so much @ryanmadaris. I didn’t even notice.Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Dara Cochran
    Participant

Thank you so so much for your compliments.It’s funny that you would suggest that because I actually did get a photo of the cotton in focus and the rest blurred. My aperture was f/1.8. Thanks again!

Ryan Madaris
    Participant

@dara__cochran, another thing, I think this (or another photo that you took of the same scene) would look great in black and white, because the scene is largely monochrome.

James Staddon
    Keymaster

Great subject! Driving through southern VA last year, I was wishing I had had time for a shot like this.

Perhaps it’s more a style preference, but I wonder if there is any possibility of texture in the sky…it just looks so blank.

Also, my brain was instantly trying to figure out the blurry cupola on the barn before I realized it was just one of the blurred out leaves on a branch in the foreground. I know it’s a small thing, but if I didn’t notice it while shooting the picture, I’d attempt to edit it out afterward. 🙂

John M.
    Participant

lol @jamesstaddon you liked our cotton? I should go out and take a few pics of it, I hadn’t really thought about it. I also agree that a blue sky (and maybe a red barn?)would look awesome!!

Dara Cochran
    Participant

@jamesstaddon thanks so much for your comments 🙂 The sky was really foggy that day, so I think that’s why it was so plain and white looking. It would have been much better if it had texture and color. Thank you for pointing that out to me, I hadn’t even noticed the leaf. Thanks again!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Would you like to participate?

Join for FREE!

Pin It on Pinterest